Distraction as a learning tool?

I have senn this used quite a bit here and just wanted to know your thoughts. How does distraction teach anything but throw a fit and you get something you would have been denied any other time? Examples:

If my child is throwing a fit in the store, I 'distract' them by letting them have a toy.
If my child is mad because he didn't get his way, I 'distract' him by giving him a treat.

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 2:18 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• Why on earth would you reward your child by giving them a treat when they were mad that they didnt get their own way?! I mean whoa!

If my child throws a fit, they get time out. If it continues, they get TV time taken away, etc.
    Anonymous

• I think that the term "distraction" doesn't mean "reward" the child for naughty behavior, I feel that its more about giving the child choices so that he/she can feel empowered. Its not giving in when a child misbehaves by saying, "Oh, ok, have what you want" its more about, "You cannot have this, but you can have this alternative."
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 2:29 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I use distraction often the my toddler. When he is getting into something like the DVD's or whatever it's a lot easier to distract him with his toys than to simple say "NO!" and leave him to throw a fit. To me, it's more constructive.

As far as toys in the store goes I always throw some toys (usually cars) or snacks in my purse when we go to s store and when my son starts getting fussy I offer him something. It's not a new toy, but it may seem new because it's been in my purse for 2 weeks.

Often times children are not able to convey the message that they are bored or hungry, even when they can talk. Sometimes when my son starts throwing a fit I do offer him a drink or a snack. If he doesn't want either then I leave him alone and sometimes he will ask me when he has calmed down. It's not like I'm saying, "Since you're throwing a fit, why don't I take you out for ice cream so you'll shut up."
    MamaTasha08

Answer by MamaTasha08 at 4:32 PM on Oct. 12, 2009