What could you do without?

I have read a lot of posts about what luxuries are and are not.... what luxuries do you have that you could do without and maybe save a little money for a rainy day? What luxuries have you cut out to save money?

wildboyz1994

Asked by wildboyz1994 at 2:19 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• We don't eat out very much at all, I make simple meals that last for more than one meal, I do my own brows and only get my hair trimmed when I actually need it, DH does his own now. I shop on the clearance racks for clothes and typically buy generic products for groceries and household needs. Not everything we buy is generic but most of it is. We share cell phone plans with our families so we can stay in contact with them (we can't afford to put long distance on our house phone) and our bills aren't as expensive. We started gardening this year to cut down on the grocery bill. I would like to turn off our satellite but we live in a dead zone and would not get any channels at all. That is why we had to get our dish and it is cheaper than cable for more channels.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 2:53 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I could do without my dishwasher if I had to.

I have stopped getting my nails done, we only go out to eat on occasion, buy store brand foods instead of name brand, etc. I even clip coupons now.
    Anonymous

• we dont have cable cause it seems like a waste of time and money. we get netflix instead for about 15 bucks a month. we just have a few movie nights a week to satisfy our need to watch something on the television. we only have one car cause having 2 while living on a small air force base seems overkill. try to eat at home alot which helps to save money. going for walks as a family for fun or hiking which is usually free or only costs a couple bucks to get into a state park. i could go on and on. lol! one you get into it saving money can be alot of fun. :)
    trelimon

Answer by trelimon at 2:25 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• We used to eat mcdonalds almost every week.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 2:30 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• We do without family entertainment

No video games
    No eating out
    No bowling or other fun stuff
    No family fishing trips or camping trips
    No coffee shops
    No buying anything new
    No fancy cell phones
    No cars for the teenagers
    No fancy hair styles or high lights
    Just 2 old cars for me and DH
    No wireless...just dialup
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:33 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• We don't pay for tv, we eat generic, we attend free functions (like county festivals and such), we stay home a lot, drive only one vehical, clip coupons, ect.....

its not too hard and its actually kinda fun.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 3:32 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I could do with out all the ignorance and misunderstanding of having a child with autism!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 4:31 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Well I could cut out almost every luxury if need be.... we really dont need all the 'stuff' and services. But (((knocks on wood))) we have not had to. A couple years ago my hubby started his own company I helped out by canceling the housekeeping service and cleaning my own dang house. I feel completely blessed that my "sacrafice" was so superficial... that to save money I didnt have to cut out anything real.
    Anonymous