Why did she cry?

My 3 year old just saw my husband for the first time in 4 months. She's known him as daddy (even though he's not biologically) for almost a year and he's been in her life since about 6 months old. He was overseas for 4 months and she saw him today, she was really excited when I told her she was going to see him, but when he got here she burst into tears. She went up to him and hugged him but was still bawling, and then clung to my side after that. I just don't understand why she got so upset, could she have been mad at him for being gone? Or scared of him all of a sudden? I asked her but she won't tell me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• was he in uniform? Perhaps she was afraid of his uniform for some reason. Who knows, she may have even seen a news clip of something overseas that scared her and he came in the same uniform that she saw on tv?
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 5:06 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• op

these were definitely not tears of joy, i should add. she wouldn't go up to him at all after that hug.
    Anonymous

• She could be scared of him...in her mind she has portrayed him in one way and now that he is here in real life, he doesn't seem the same person...give her time...he is almost like a stranger to her.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:22 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• or she could have in her mind him leaving her again.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 3:25 PM on Oct. 12, 2009