Anyone care to defend this "pre-existing condition" exclusion?

A perfectly healthy four month old breast fed baby was turned down for health insurance coverage when the prospective provider classified him as "obsese".
he is 25 inches and 17 lbs.

autodidact

Asked by autodidact at 2:29 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• here is the link.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:31 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• OMG. That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. I hope that insurance company catches hell.
    Anonymous

• no, they're DODGING hell. they appear to have stopped accepting mail at the CEO's email address.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:35 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Yea def ridiculous. A baby can be big and still not grow up to be obese. I think that denying him is BS and should wait until a certain age to make these calls. 4mths is too young
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 2:36 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Obese babies are at high risk of being obese kids and obese adults. He is at the 99th percentile! There is a problem whenever a child is above the 95th percentile. This is a case of overfeeding.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:39 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• LOL! The article says he is four months then the video says he is two months? I also see nothing saying how much the child weighs.

The reason an Ins company will deny a child for being in the higher percentiles is because it can be a sign of a preexisting thyroid issue. Am I saying it was okay for them to deny him? No! These reasons are silly and shouldn't be allowed. The whole reason why we need reform, but his story shows his parents willingness to BUY health Ins. so it doesn't support a public option plan.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 2:44 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Both my children were at the 98th percentile, They are both adults now and neither one is obese or even slightly near it.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 2:59 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• If the bill passes, instead of denying him outright, they'll just charge $1000/mo to insure him. For someone who can't afford it, what's the difference?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:02 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Wow, my day babies always hit 115 or 120 percentile before they level off. My doc says it's normal and there is no such thing as an obese breastfed baby.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:19 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• wow.........that is terrible but my thought is i wonder what his parents look like?? i had a friend who was bigger, not huge but bigger and her pedi gave her the hardest time that her dd (age 4 at the time) was 2 lbs over the hundredth percentile! two pounds! but i am sure teh doc looked at my friend and her kid and assumed they had unhealthy eating habits, which was true..... sad for the baby though... but wouldn't the baby be covered by moms insurance since birth... i had a child who died of a kidney issue at 23 days, if they could refuse that baby under pre-existing conditions, my child could easily be excluded too, being that he was born with the issues. but i have good insurance and didnt pay a penny....

AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:25 PM on Oct. 12, 2009