Ever have to give away a dog you love?

I've had sinus problems for weeks. I'm taking 3 allergy meds and 2 asthma meds. The doctor did allergy tests and I was postive for dogs. She said find a new home for the golden retriever that sleeps with me. Not only am I sad about loosing her and her loosing me but I feel guilty because I was supposed to be her forever home.

Gailll

Asked by Gailll at 3:00 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Pets

• I did this with my cat who attacked my kids repeatedly. She was 11 years old--three years ago. I am not at a point where I want a cat again and my kids are bigger and can deal better. All I can say, is our shelter is slammed with people looking to adopt pets, so your golden will probably go to a new home fast. When you surrender, give every shred of info you can on your dog to help new people see how great he/she is.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 3:05 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• We just gave up our 8 month old doberman. When I got her I didn't know I was pregnant with baby #3. I thought I would be able to handle her, but she was so rowdy around my 18 month old and 4 year old. I couldn't let her out when I had daycare kids here. I felt so bad locking her in the kennel. Also, one daycare mom was scared of her bc she was 50lbs. My husband and I really regret giving her back to the breeder, but we knew she deserved a better life. We had also purchased her sister for my mom, so at least we can still visit her, and the breeder told us we could come visit Addy whenever too. That made it a little easier giving her up.
    brani5

Answer by brani5 at 3:27 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• She is so beautiful, someone is already interested. Tears.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:48 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I have had to do that and it is sad but the new owners love him so that is all that matters.
    Anonymous

• unfortunately yes. we got him at the pound. his name was jack. he barked a lot and a few months after i had him a neighbor came by when i was on vacation and told my mother that he dog needed to be brought in. when i got back he showed up at my door asking if i could bring him in. i said that i did bring him in at night. he said no i don't care about the night but during the day. she gotten the news wrong. so i said i could. when i brought him home i had noticed that he barked a lot. i asked the boys if the barking kept them up at night. t hey said no. i was surprised. i could hear him all the way to the front of house where my room was. anyway i brought him in as asked but my elderly father would put him out when i left. my father is mean and senile. i know he put him out on purpose. even after pleeding that i would get fined up to $2500 if the complaints comtinued to come in. cops said dog could not make noise cause of the
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:47 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• graveyard worker. i could never afford a fine like that and if they kept coming they would take the dog from us. so i had no alternative to but to rehome him. if only had known that after i got married that we would be buying a new house.which i'm surprised happen as we don't make much money but since it was a foreclusire is guess that helped. i often think of him and wished we still had him. i had to surrender him to a rescue and they found him a good home i'm sure but he was the best dog ever and i'm glad to know that since he was a pound dog that in me having rescued him from there he is still alive an well. i miss him though.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:51 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Can't you try doing shots or something? If it is not a severe allergy i would exhaust all options before making that decisioin.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:51 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• When my son was younger he is 7 now he had alot of allegy and asthma troubles. The dr. told me maybe the dog is doing it.So i would keep daisy groomed. and in another part of the house. the thought of having to give her up was sad she is 2 months younger than son. Josh seems not to be reactive to her so now she is our 3rd daughter. Point Whats inportant is that you find a good home. and sorry your allergic
    pen

Answer by pen at 9:10 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Melody 77 just for future referance they do make anti bark collars as well as other training devises to curb barking. Does not have to be a shock coller.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:05 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I have an immune disorder called common variable immune deficiency (CVID) and I have low levels of IgA, IgG, and IgM. If that wasn't wonderful enough I have really high levels of IgE. IgE has to do with allergies. CVID is very rare and some experts think each person with genetic immune disorders is a little different.

What the doctor thinks is I hit a tipping point with allergies. I've been living in AZ for 2 years, long enough to become allergic to AZ stuff along with house stuff and dog. My skin feels like hives are going to beak out any second and burning underneath yet I don't feel hot to the touch. I get flushed on my cheeks and arms and my ears are burning up. I've had sinusitis that won't clear with antibiotics, nasal spray (I'm getting a new one today), or IV gamma globulin ($20,000). My blood test clearly shows allergies.

Can't do shots. They don't work because I don't have IgG.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:16 PM on Oct. 14, 2009