Is it common for one year olds to stick their fingers down their throats?

Ok, so it's my first child obviously, but she has been sticking her fingers down her throat and then gagging on them lately. and it's definitely on purpose. sometimes it happens when she is eating, like she will eat a few cheerios and then stick her fingers down her throat. and sometimes it is when she is just sitting on the floor watching a movie or playing. it is really random. Is this a symptom of something? Is it a sign she has a sore throat? Or is she just figuring out her gag reflexes? Did your kid ever do this?

MadysMom0916

Asked by MadysMom0916 at 3:06 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My dd and nephew both did the same thing. Its kinda gross but normal LOL shell get over it
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 3:07 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• nope its not normal its 500% beyond normal they all do it trust me
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 3:11 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Oh yes they all do it. I have one kid at my daycare that does it when he's mad. My DD still does it occasionally to get attention when she's throwing a tantrum also.

Try not to over react when she does it. Just tell her, "No thank you. Why don't you play with this toy/eat this instead?" Redirect. The best way to get a toddler to repeat a behaviour is to make a big deal out of it.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 3:13 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Ha ha this is why I love this site. It brings up and reminds me that we are alike in so many ways. I had forgotten all about this. My d did this and she thought it was funny so I just ignored it and she stopped eventually. It was a phase that I forgot all about until now (and she's 13 btw).
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 3:23 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• OMG my 11 month old does the same thing, my first son didn't do it, but little guy will do it untill he pukes everything up and then still does
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:55 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Lol my son has done that since about 8 months... he doesn't do it as often but now and then he'll do it and gag. I think its normal. They are noticing their bodies more and want to know about them. My son puts his fingers down his throat, pulls up his shirt and touches his belly button (does the same to me), grabs his penis when I'm changing his diaper, etc. I try to explain to him what he's doing. "When you put your fingers in your mouth, you gag don't you?" "That's your belly button! Mommy has one too!" "Did you grab your penis? Your penis is what makes you a boy."

Just use the experimenting as a teaching lesson :)
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 6:29 PM on Oct. 12, 2009