Need advice from other moms

This is a 2-part question here. First, how do you teach your toddlers, and second, how do you discipline? I've been trying to do little learning games and reading to him, but I can't keep his attention long enough. How do I keep his interest, keep it fun and help him learn? With discipline, well I know time-outs and that kind of thing. But he is having behavioral problems at daycare, where he screams if he doesn't get his way and then sulks off in a corner by himself. I know we haven't helped matters here at home, because DH and I can't agree on discipline. We argue on when to do it and what to do, to the point where its almost as if we just give up and say "screw it," and I know that's the wrong thing to do. He's not a bad kid honestly, but he has his moments.

mama2conor

Asked by mama2conor at 3:10 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Remember that the toddler attention span is short. What you've been doing is fine!

For discipline...1-2-3 Magic is a great book.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:18 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Thanks! I will get that from the library, looks like they actually have it on order.
    mama2conor

Answer by mama2conor at 3:26 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• As far as learning goes, we incorporate DDs learning into every day things. We count the stairs, sing our ABCs throughout the day, etc. When Im doing laundry and DD is helping, I have her hand me "one" shirt. Then the pink shirt. The white sock, etc.

As far as discipline, you two need to sit down and write up a "plan." Standing up in the high chair is unacceptable, and will result in the child leaving the dinner table until s/he can sit in their chair. Trying to pull pans off the hot stove will get a time out, second offense gets the child kicked out of the kitchen for the evening.

When one of you disciplines, and the other doesn't agree, keep your mouth shut LOL unless its something serious. If DDs father swats her behind for not listening, and I would have taken a different route, I would either let it slide, or talk to him about it later. HTH
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 4:20 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I never tried to "teach" my children when they were toddlers. I read to them and we looked at pictures together, and they had toys. I think that little children need to be allowed to simply enjoy being a child. There will be years and years of "teaching." As for the discipline, there is nothing that works as well as spanking. You simply let the child know what behavior is acceptable in your home, and when he violates the standards, you spank him not as punishment but for training to obey the rules and to respect parental authority. It is done without anger and for no other reason than to train. It is quick and it is highly effective. I assure you that it does not damage the psyche. To the contrary, it makes for respectful, obedient children who are pleasant to be around.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:33 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Learning-- lets say my dd attention spam is a lil longer the most tots so is easy. but here are some sites we visit. fisherprice.com. starfall.com pbskids,.org. i also google preschool or toddler activities. so far my dd has learn her abc, numbers 1-20 all her shapes and colors and alot more.

DIsclipine. i use time outs or i spank. most of teh times is time outs. so far my dd has never throw a fit in public at home if she does i atke her to her room and tell her she can throw the fit in her room 5 mts later she comes out and says sorry.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:34 PM on Oct. 12, 2009