My 8 year old son has been taking my things !!!!!!!!!!

I have tried all kinds of things to get him to stop what should I do ?

amandatyler23

Asked by amandatyler23 at 3:21 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• What kind of stuff is he taking? My 8 yo used to take my ipod, cd's cell phone, things like that. A simple solution was to just get him his own. If he is taking really personal things, try taking to him to see why he is really taking them, then set some rules about not going into your bedroom or your purse. Explain to him why those things are important and personal to a woman. There is another trick but I found it kind of mean. When my 6 yo would take my make-up and personal things, talking did not work and he was taking DH things too. We started taking things that he found important. It was mean I know but it worked. He saw how it felt to have his things "stolen" and he stopped taking ours. Now he asks before touching our stuff.
    JEAmom3

Answer by JEAmom3 at 3:28 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• lock your door! jk ... how about giving him a taste of his own medicine.... when you find he has taken your stuff, take something he values for a week.... i bet he will stop it when he realizes he has no tv, ipod, videogames, etc.... or the other thing is .... could it be that he wants more from you emotionally? just an idea, like hoarders do that because they lack something emotionally...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:34 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Maybe he is looking for some attention. Even negative attention is better than no attention.Does he have siblings? Maybe he feels he has to compete for attention? Just a thought.
    TakeNoticeNow

Answer by TakeNoticeNow at 12:08 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• hey i know your having a hard time with caleb and i might suggest that you try and talk to him even though I know you've done it a hundred times....but you can't give up tell him how you feel ask him why he takes your things it it because he dosen't have things or dose he do it because he can maybe he should be where you can always See him so he's not able to sneak in your room when you think he in his......You know I wish you only the best of luck

lillithvally

Answer by lillithvally at 3:31 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I had the same issue with my 8yo daughter. Her father and I talked till we were blue in the face. Right from worng, how would you feel, all of that, nothing worked. So, we explained what happens to grown ups when they take things that dont belong to them. Showed her pics online of prisoners the whole deal. Still didnt phase her. So DH and I decided if it happened again we would call my friend at work who's husband was a police man. (he had already agreed and I guess they do this more than we all know) Eventually it happened, so we called and he showed up and knocked on the door. He talked to her about her rights, our rights, what it means to steal and what happens if you do. Then he asked her to go with him it was time to do her time. She freaked out, cried, swore on God she's never do it again. Needless to say our daughter never touched another persons things after that experience!
    luvbnmomnwife

Answer by luvbnmomnwife at 9:53 PM on Oct. 17, 2009