Sick 7 month old. What would you do?

My son is 7 months old, he has a runny nose and is coughing a little bit. No fever or anything, but I can tell he feels bad.
I have some Penicillin left over from when he was sick about a month and a 1/2 ago, the date on it is still good. Would you give him it, wait to see if he gets better, or just take him to the doctor tomorrow(his doctor isn't in on Mondays.)? What else could I do to make him feel better?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do NOT give the penicillin! It should have been used up when prescribed (you're supposed to use the entire run of pills). Since it wasn't, you do need to toss it.

Some vapo-rub on his chest will help. A humidifier will also help. If you're breastfeeding, some drops of breastmilk in the nose will decongest him.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:48 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Noooo. You don't want to give him old antibiotic. It may be viral. Antibiotics are for bacterial infections and don't work for viral infections. You risk him getting antibiotic resistant infections in the future of developing an allergy. Never ever give old antibiotics without the doctor telling you to. I can't imagine a doctor telling you to.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:51 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I am the original poster. I gave it to him like I was supposed to the first time. 3 times a day for 10 days. They just gave him way too much...
    Anonymous

• Your baby is too young for vapoRub. There were recent advisories not to use in kids under 2.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:55 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• noooooooooo penicillin bad idea. just keep him comfy i know is ahrd. keep him eleveated do saline drops. he just has a cold relax.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:25 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Penicillin is for infection, which you don't know he has. If he shows signs of an infection, take him back to the doctor and they will give him a new dose.
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 5:39 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• NO NO i am a huge fan of anti biotics i think they are great and if iam sick i will try and take some ones i have left over but when it comes to kids no thats never a good idea i wont do that with my son kids are so small eaven the smallest change in there bodies can mean they need differnt dose or differant med it coudl make a huge differance
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 6:43 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• just let his body fight it on his own, it will make him stronger! but if he gets a fever or worst call the doctor. they can fight a cold off alone, just a little tlc.
    Anonymous