When did your toddler begin to write

My daughter will be 4 in January. We've started practicing letters with her and she is doing great. She can write her first name (with me reminding her which letter is next). Someone told me she was very young for that.. how old are most kids when they start to write?

customcat2000

Asked by customcat2000 at 3:46 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my DS will be 4 next month and can "write" his name. If they have had a good early childhood education that is right on track
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:48 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• like 3 monthes
    otterkiki

Answer by otterkiki at 4:03 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• otterkiki.. 3 months? lol..
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 4:14 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• My daughter started around age 3. She is 3 1/2 now and can write the entire alphabet. Her daycare has great teachers that strive to teach the children academics at an early age.
    Anonymous

• my dd is 31 mts she knsow her abc and can wtrite like 5 letters. am working onthe rest but altely she is like ugh about learning lol
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:35 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• My oldest learned to write her name just after she turned 4. She picked it up quick and knew how to spell it. She knew how to write all her letters by 4 1/2 but didn't know their sounds (for most of them) until she was in kindergarten.
    My son learned to write his name at 4 1/2 (that was a huge struggle because he is a perfectionist).
    My middle daughter was about 5 but she has fine motor issues and didn't even know how to hold a pencil right until then.
    My youngest is 3 1/2 and learning to write her name in school. The first day she just scribbled. 2 weeks later she if following the dotted lines and trying on her own (and each time the scribbles look more like letters).
    I think 4 to 4 1/2 is the average age (going by my kids and my friends' kids).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:43 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Mine just turned 3 today and she can write her name. We are working on the alphabet as well.
    hannah_belle

Answer by hannah_belle at 8:54 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• sophia was 3 when she started to write her abc and name
    williamswife522

Answer by williamswife522 at 1:50 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• It depends on the child. I would say between 3 and 4 is a good time. I have taught preschool for 20 years and I have seen kids as young as 2 write their names and kids that were almost 5 and could not. As long as the child is interested and not being pushed, any age is ok.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:46 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Mine was three tears old. like her name . and some short words. I was bored i HAD TO DO SOMETHING WITH HER.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 3:30 PM on Oct. 13, 2009