Anyone else's toddler NOT watch TV?

Everyone thinks its "weird" that my son refuses to watch TV. I don't think its a bad thing that he doesn't watch TV, but.... some days I'd like a Couple minutes to get things done..... It just does not grab his attention at all. There are 2 things he will watch but not for more than 3 minutes, that is Golf and Racing. Like I said, this is not a bad thing, but just a question. BTW He'll be 2 in Nov...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• My 4.5 year old would watch tv when she was 6 months old I would put her in front of the tv so I could clean house that is the only time I could get it done when she was watching tv I would only put learning things on for her though, but my 21 month old on the other hand will not watch tv what so ever it has no interest to her at all some kids I think just doesn't care especially if they are like my kids and are always on the go lol
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 6:27 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• mine will be two in Nov also! And she doesn't like TV. When the guy came over to install our internet, I found out I get free cable with my appt. He hooked it up and put Sesame St on. Now anytime I turn on the tv DD BEGS for Elmo lol Its so funny because she only saw him that one time for a few mins! Anything else she signs that she's "all done" then repeats "Elmo! Elmo! Elmo!" over and over lol

The other thing she'll watch is a movie we have called Petting Farm. Its got 3 minute segments about different animals. She absolutely loves that movie, and has since she was about 14 mos. Its the only thing that will grab her attention (besides Elmo, of course).
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 4:27 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• My son watches TV but he is very picky about what he watches. He only likes Blue's Clues and Yo Gabba Gabba. The other day he saw Elmo on TV for the first time and he was in love. (He had only seen Elmo in books and things like that before.) It may be just that your child hasn't seen anything he really likes. And you're right, it's not a bad thing. I let my son watch a show in the morning when he wakes up and in the evening when I take a shower. Maybe your son would be interested in picking out DVD's to watch every once in a while when you need to get some things done around the house. We have a few DVD's my son likes to have playing when he is playing with his toys.
    MamaTasha08

Answer by MamaTasha08 at 4:39 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• OP.. - yeah, my husband put on cartoons for him while he was crabby this morning and he absolutely just is not interested at all - my mom has shown him sesame street and nothin' - don't get me wrong, we are far from PUSHING TV on him, but he's a very ..... moody little guy and I thought some cool down times after his fits would be calmed by TV or even while he's sick since that seems to be like every 6 weeks - but no. Somedays we just run out of things to entertain him with also and he apparently does not want to be an independent child !! I just wish he had some other type of interest besides whining..lol!!
    Anonymous

• My DD wouldn't watch TV until she was older than 2.5.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 4:51 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• my dd is 2yr and she loves tv....she watches family guy,king of the hill,spongebob,dora,diego,elmo,casper shows,scooby doo,i carly,max and ruby,mickey mouse,winnie the pooh,her fav is family guy and winnie the pooh tho
    married-in-06

Answer by married-in-06 at 5:19 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• My 18-month-old will watch about 5 minutes of any movie with a puppy in it...then he's off and running. I think it's a good thing too.
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 5:28 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• my youngest does not get reception out where they live and she refuses to pay for TV so they watch DVDs and such but not TV.
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 5:47 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• My daughter is 15 months and has no interest in the tv, except for a couple commercials (free credit report.com and jitterbug).
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:14 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• My son just turned three and we have limited television for him. We don't even get cable and our television is not in the main living areas of the home. Plus we only have one small one. Occassionally he will watch DVD's for about 20 minutes at a time. Then it goes off and we finish it later in the week. On average less than two hours a week. It works well for us.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:52 PM on Oct. 12, 2009