what did you swear you would never do (then you did it anyways!)?

When I was pregnant I swore I would NEVER put DD in tights. I HATED tights growing up--they're so damn itchy! But just a week ago she had her first picture day, and what do you know? White tights were the only thing I had to match her outfit :~)

What did you swear you would never do?

epoh

Asked by epoh at 4:23 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• lol, about a thousand things....parenthood changes all the rules-
    athenax3

Answer by athenax3 at 7:54 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Thus far it has mostly to do with his eating habits. I swore I wouldn't even allow him any type of junk food treat until he was well established with health foods but I've let him have a taste of almost every horrible type thing I've put in my mouth. *SIGH* Sometimes it's easier to do this than to fight with the grandparents as to why you don't want your 1yr old scarfing on a donut....In my minor defense I do make sure he eats the "good" stuff before he is allowed a treat unless we are at a birthday party or something. Please ladies, don't make me regret not going anonymous, lol!
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 4:32 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I swore I would never sound like my mom. As in "Don't make me come over there!" "Because I said so!" "Because I'm the mom, that's why!" I always said I was going to be a "nice" mom! Of course when I was young that meant "no rules for anyone!"
    Anonymous

• I promised I'd never clean my child's face with my spit. YUCK! I hated that sooooo much growing up. YOur mom would lick her thumb and than smear it all over your face. Well guess what I did last week? We were just about to walk into a store and I look down and there were smooge on his face. Before I knew it I was wiping his face down with my spit. UGH I'M SO GROSS.
    jillybean6781

Answer by jillybean6781 at 4:35 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I swore I'd never give my kid(s) the "reason": BECAUSE I SAID SO. LOL. It's true, I've said it. Plenty of times when I get tired of explaining.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:49 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I swore kids and babies would not sleep in the bed, and my son slept on my chest for the first six months!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 4:51 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I always said my kids were going to CIO and sleep in their cribs in their room from birth. Bahahaha! We've been co-sleeping since she was 2 weeks old and I've NEVER tried full on CIO. I waited to put her into her room when she was 2.5 years old.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 4:57 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I swore that I would never force my kids to wear what I wanted them to, that I would always let them wear what they wanted. It used to make me so mad when my mother would pick out my cloths or make me change because she didn't approve of my outfits. Well, once my boys started school, I started picking their cloths. Maybe when they are teenagers I will let them have their own style but for now, I don't want anyone going to school in cloths too big, too small, or just weird.
    JEAmom3

Answer by JEAmom3 at 5:04 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I swore I would NEVER fall asleep with my son in the bed. From 4-6 months he slept between me and the wall and breastfed whenever he wanted all night long LOL
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 5:25 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Because I was a teen parent,my parents still made me do 3 things,get married,finish school,get a job,then more schooling,all at the same time ,offering no help,so,I promised,when my daughters get married and had children,I would do everything for them,and I did, but,I have to admit my mother did the right thing with me,I was stronger and wiser. My grown daughters are so spoiled rotten because they know,I will never let them suffer,or do without.
    Anonymous