Is she normal?

OK my 15 mt old has extreme stanger anxiety!!! I mean friends/family members come to our house or anyone else she freaks out and crys and is attached to me the rest of their visit! Someone looks at her the wrong way and she crys! It is getting out of hand and it is making me want no one over because it isn't enjoyable for anyone! When will this pass? Is it normal?

melk819

Asked by melk819 at 4:24 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son was the same. It was really bad when the family got together for the holidays because he would not play with anyone or let anyone hold him. He would cling to DH or myself. Things that would normally make him laugh only made him cry. We just continued to take him to family functions and had people over and he just got over it. I don't know if he grew out of it or if he just got used to being around people, but now he is a joy at family functions and enjoys seeing company.
    Anonymous

• It sounds like she has anxiety with everyone. Maybe excessive for the age. What do you do?
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:26 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• stranger anxiety is normal, but I would always introduce her to people so she can get over it. If you stop having people over she'll never get over the anxiety.
    jillybean6781

Answer by jillybean6781 at 4:27 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• sounds sorta normal, i really cant say much cuz my 15 month old says hi to perfect strangers:) Have you tried just one person at a time? what ever you do dont freak out when she does i'm sure that would make it worse. Sorry I'm not much help:)
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 4:33 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• My son was the same at that age. I made sure to explain to him before meeting anyone who would be there, and that everything was okay, etc. Then I would allow him to be shy and clingy if he wanted to, it never helps to force them to interact. But he did get over it. He's still a bit more shy than other kids, but it is obvious he is much more comfortable now when meeting new people.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 5:21 PM on Oct. 12, 2009