feeling neglected

So I am going to be stuck here in Hawaii, where my husband is stationed, for the holidays because I will be too far along to fly. None of my family is going to try to come out. I know money is tight, but it still sucks. My hubby is deployed, so he won't be here either. it will just be me, the belly and my dog. I am totally boycotting the festivities this year...
Is it wrong of me to feel neglected by my family over this?

rhianna1708

Asked by rhianna1708 at 4:24 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• No. I'm sure you are understanding of their reasons for not coming but you still have every right to feel neglected. I understand. You are very pregnant at a very special time of year and there is no one around. It is an understandable feeling. I am sorry that you are all alone and pregnant for the holidays but just remember, by this time next year, you will have a little one and your holidays will never be lonely or uneventful again. Little ones always make for great company on the holidays. Maybe you can make it better by going and getting some of your favorite holiday books or songs from when you were little and spend this time of year reading and singing to your precious one. Even in your tummy the baby can help make your holidays special.
    JEAmom3

Answer by JEAmom3 at 4:31 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• It's wrong to feel neglected when there is nothing they can do about it. If they can't come, they can't come.

I'm sorry you are away from family this holiday. It happened to me 2 years ago. I had to move from IN to AZ to get medical treatment and leave my family behind. Like you I moved to a state that didn't even have winter. I was able to talk to my family.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:32 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• All I can say is.... YOU'RE IN HAWAII!!! I'm sure there has to be something you can do to make yourself feel better,lol.... Sorry for your unhappiness.....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 4:40 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I feel that way a lot because I live far away from my family and my husband's job takes him away from us a lot. I have spent a lot of holidays alone and it's worse when you are pregnant! For me I guess it's not really a "neglected" feeling but more of a left-out, lonely feeling.
    MamaTasha08

Answer by MamaTasha08 at 4:48 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• You're feelings are yours so don't listen to anyone who tells you the way you feel is wrong. If they can't, that is one thing. If they can but won't try, that is another. My family is three hours from me and they could visit more, they just won't because my dad doesn't like to travel and my mom won't just come for a few days. She tells me all the time hwo much she misses us but won't come. It's a long story but I know how you feel. I'm sorry your holidays are going to be dreary for you. I undertand completely.
    Anonymous

• You can feel any way you want... but it would be horrible of you to act upon it.

Hawaii is NOT a cheap airline ticket. If your family can not make it they simply can not make it.

So feel how you want but act like an adult.
    Anonymous

• Unfortunately this is the life of a military wife. I spent many a holiday alone when dh was deployed, it stinks! Try and take some quiet time for just you and baby to be, maybe write a journal to the baby about how you are feeling. It is easy to get bummed out when you don't have your family around for the holidays, treat yourself to something special, listen to some good music and relax and prepare for your new baby.
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 5:03 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• No. I don't find anything awrong with the way you feel. I'm stuck in hawaii for the holidays as well. Everyone thinks we should be sooo,happy b/c it's HAWAII!, but I don't think ppl realize how different it is here! I'm gonna be away from my family this year for the holidays, and it's the first time in 24yrs! mY hubby will be here, but I still feel a lil left out, and lonely.....but just keep in mind that next year ull be far from lonely with ur new baby n hubby 2 keep u company and share the holidays with:-)
    kelly0513

Answer by kelly0513 at 4:01 PM on Oct. 19, 2009