All of this talk about wanting to vote for Independent candidates, but . . .

I am just curious as to how many of you actually donate money to Independent parties to further their message and cause? It seems that there is so much complaining about the two party system, and for the most part I agree. The problem is that no Independent party will be able to 'break the glass ceiling' because they don't have the funds to carry their messages to the people. What do you plan on doing (if anything) the next election cycle to promote the independent party of your choice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:27 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• While I support the Independent/Libertarian candidates, I end up typically voting for the most viable candidate that comes the most close to that ideal, because I don't want to "throw away my vote"--so a moderate Democrat or moderate Republican is who I tend to vote for in larger elections.

Locally, if there is an Independent candidate I will vote for them--you have to start somewhere!

I think as a country we are too established as a two-party system, and it will take time for a national level candidate to "prove" him or herself on the national stage and be considered a real contender for a top office like President. It may take a generation or two to get to that point, but I see that the tide turning!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:05 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Generally throughout history, independant party runs destroy a candidate's political career.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:53 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• The main problem with an independent candidate running and getting a lot of votes, is that they pull votes away from one of the 2 mainstream candidates.
    For us conservatives, that has meant that our mainstream candidate loses to the progressive candidate.

I LOVE many of the conservative independent candidates in recent elections ! Can you imagine the clarity and integrity of an Alan Keyes Presidency? or Ron Paul? .... sigh.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:03 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I donate to groups I agree with. That makes them all conservative groups but they are in no way connected to the Republican party. We are just to ingrained in the 2 party system. I won't vote 3rd party. Thats part of what got us here today. I will do anything to make sure a Dem doesn't get back in office. If I have to vote for someone who is conservative but not as conservative (ie. Mccain) as I like so be it, I will to not vote 3rd party.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:40 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• The mental armwrestle of a mental six year old is tough.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 9:21 PM on Oct. 12, 2009