How can I get my 3 1/2 year old to try more foods?

My 3 1/2 year old is so picky! How can I get her to try new foods? If it were up to her she would live on yogurt, toasted cheese sandwiches, chicken nuggets, and cereal. Every time we try to encourage her to try something new she flips out! I even have her help prepare the food but she still won't go near it.

KlousMomi

Asked by KlousMomi at 4:29 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Just keep offering new foods along with the foods she will eat. Tell her that there is a 2 bite rule, she has to take 2 bites of all foods before she can say she doesn't like a food. Kids need a lot of chances to try new foods before they decide if they really like something. I wouldn't not feed her anything if she doesn't eat the new foods. Adults don't eat foods they don't like and kids shouldn't be made to either. Give her the new foods first and then when she takes the 2 bites, put the foods she does eat on her plate. My 13 yr old is picky and only eats beans for veggies but he has tasted and will eat raw green pepper and onions. Kids are weird and their tastes do grow as they do. Some foods are just too strong for little tummies.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:37 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Keep offering even if it doesn't seem like kid food. My toddler grandson has recently eaten chicken cordon blu and grilled salmon. He wouldn't try pear. You just never know.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:38 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• My daughter is the same way. We put whatever we are having on her plate and she has to at least try it. If she doesn't then no snack for the remaining of the night. My child loves cookies so this has worked for us. Good luck!
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 5:05 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• you could always try cutting into little peaces. and mix it in with other food. gl
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 3:23 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• let her see you eat it first. and encourage just one bite.

let her help making it.

let her explore the smell, texture, and use all her senses. thy're pretty suspicious little critters. lol

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:37 PM on Oct. 13, 2009