Should I spill the beans about Santa?

My boys are 10 and 8. Both have already asked in previous years if Santa is real. My standard answer has always been "if you don't beleive, you don't receive" So they've always said they beleive even though there are kids in their classes that know the truth. So anyway, this year I want to get them an expensive gift, but if I do , there won't be any money for all the little gifts and Santa. So should I spill the beans?

akmom2be

Asked by akmom2be at 4:38 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Why can't Santa get them the expensive gift?

Answer by louise2 at 4:43 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Don't do it! let them enjoy at least one more year of innocence before hearing it from the horses mouth, just tell them this year is only getting the expensive gift instead of all the little ones.

Answer by older at 4:45 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• No. It was the worse thing I ever did. (Ok, not really, but I felt terrible after...and my ds was 11.)
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:52 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• noway mama.. i will never give that up.. they need it in there lives..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 5:06 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• That special tingly magic on Christmas Eve should last as long as possible. Santa can get one expensive gift as easy as a bunch of small ones!
    FiveofHearts

Answer by FiveofHearts at 10:09 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Santa is only part of the magic of being a child. Children need to believe in Santa, the Easter Bunny, etc. These are things that keep children, children. They are all growing up so fast already. Why be the one that helps them grow up to fast.
    Dwhintson

Answer by Dwhintson at 10:53 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I agree with the other answers, I wouldn't just tell.

I'm in the same boat. I want to get them a PS3 which would be the only gift and they would be sharing it. I'll get them each a game a piece for it. That's my plan!
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 7:03 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I wouldn't do it. My boys are 7 and 3. I've told the older neighborhood kids they don't need to tease my son (7) if he still believes and they don't. (had a conversation with parents before I was mean to little kids!!!!)

I still believe in Santa......as my Mom told me when I was older "If you don't believe in Santa then you don't believe in me and Dad." Santa is real....Santa is the parent(s) that are making this possible for their children. What's so bad about giving him a different name and giving your child something fun and exciting?

Santa always gives the 'expensive' or 'big' gift and then other little things come from me. (I'm a single Mom and their father isn't involved). This year I wanted to get them a Wii but my Mom is doing it. Kind of irked about it because they REALLY want it so I wanted that to be from "Santa." So Santa will give them games for the Wii!!
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 8:43 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I agree with everyone else. I would never voluntarily tell my kids there is no Santa. They are 7 right now and I'm hoping that I get 3 more years...

And Lisa, I'd tell your mom that the Wii has to come from Santa. If my kids ask for something from Santa, I won't let anyone else get it.

Now that my kids are older and their gifts are more expensive, I told them that Mommy and Daddy has to pay Santa the money for the gifts or something to that effect so they know they can't ask for everything and get all of it.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 12:06 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• *prepares for the bashing*

my kids have never been lead to believe something that is not true. i do not force santa, tooth fairy, easter bunny, etc. on them- they have a much better grasp on reality, and understanding than most kids... i do not feel that "depriving" them of imaginary figures that bring them gifts is robbing them of their innocence. being innocent has nothing to do with believing a lie.
    children do not NEED santa, anymore than they need candy, or the newest fad toys. it is but one more disappointment when the learn the truth, after being brought up to believe a lie- i would rather mine understand where their gifts come from, and appreciate them as the thoughtful expression of giving that they are. that is how they learn to give- and not just material possessions.
    my humble opinion
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:58 PM on Oct. 13, 2009