Green snot and boogers

Hey all, I'm a first time mom and my baby has her first cold. Her day care provider just told me she has green boogers and I'm not sure what that means exactly. Does she need to go to the doctors?

Colie68

Asked by Colie68 at 5:04 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it means she is contagious.... at our daycare we do not allow children with green boogers in or we ask them to be picked up. I wouldnt rush to the doctor but i also dont beleive in going to the doctors alot i try home remidies first... its up to you whether you want to wait or go ahead and take her in.
    mommyajay

Answer by mommyajay at 5:12 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Usually the reason behind that is because green boogies normally mean infection, which is contagious.. just so you know.
    Anonymous

• I went to visit her on my lunch break and the daycare provider told me about the green boogers. She didn't ask me to take her home so that is why I'm a little confused.
    Colie68

Answer by Colie68 at 5:18 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• idk. maybe she doesnt care............ but at our daycare we ask the parents to take the kids home since they are contagious..... lucky you get to work the rest of the day!!! dont be suprised tho if she is crabby tonight
    mommyajay

Answer by mommyajay at 5:22 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Well it's a good excuse to stay home from work tomorrow, thanks for the info!
    Colie68

Answer by Colie68 at 5:24 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• you should take her to the doctor you dont know if she catch that in the day care..
    Anonymous

• She probably told you because she wanted you to be aware that she has signs of infection. I would call the doctor. Everytime my son had green snot it was because he had an ear infection.
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 5:42 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Thanks MommyKkay, I think I will give the doc a call just to see what he thinks.
    Colie68

Answer by Colie68 at 5:50 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• If her snot is yellow/green then it's fine, alot of things, common colds cause yellow/green snot
    If it's dark green then it's a sign of an infection that needs to be looked at
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:24 PM on Oct. 12, 2009