Divorce in California....Help!

Okay, I am trying to help my future SIL out! She was married about 5 years ago and she and her husband filed for divorce. The lived in Los Angeles. We went to the LA Supierior Court page and typed in her case number. It said that it was still pending. Nothing has been done since 2005. She and my brother have been together for 4 years and would really like to marry. Problem is that for some reason the divorce is not final. Can anyone help me in this matter. She is confused as to the problem and I have never divorced nor helped someone divorce. Any help would be wonderful!

IWantLotsOfKids

Asked by IWantLotsOfKids at 5:25 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Relationships

• Sounds like it could be her ex holding up the process. I believe as long as both parties are in agreement that the divorce process should not take that long. Does she have a lawyer? If not then it maybe in her best interest to acquire one to help the process be expedited in such a way as to finalize the divorce.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:59 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I use to do divorces a few years ago and i'm sure things have changed a little but here is what i know
    1) she has to start all over again because divorces are date sensitive. Go to the court house and pick up the paper work. If she has children or property then she'll have to do an MSA.
    2) fill out all the paperwork and make sure that she files them on the dates it says.
    3) her former spouse can't keep her from getting married and she can be divorced in a few months but it will probably be more like a year before she can get married again.
    Anonymous

• Tell her to call her attorney. I was about to remarry and found out my divorce never got finalized. It was bc my stupid x didn't finish paying for it. I had to refiled and done all over again. It was in Ky. Maybe CA is different.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:42 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• In California, even if she has to start over again, if all of the property has already been divided, it should take no more than 6 months for her divorce to be final.

Personally, I would contact a lawyer, and see what they can do, and why it would be held up.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 6:44 PM on Oct. 12, 2009