My son is 28 weeks old. He is 27.75 inches and 16.25 lbs. He was 6.8 lbs at birth and 20.5 inches. He is a thin baby -breastfed and some baby food. My mother said he is too thin and she is worried. He is thin but i don't think I should be overly concerned. What are your thoughts? thanks, Katie

katiebug29

Asked by katiebug29 at 5:34 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• according to my sister the ped. nurse babies are supposed to double by five months and triple by a year. your baby is just a long slender baby much healthier than a fat overweight one
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 5:37 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• What does his ped think? My kids had failure to thrive, they were very very skinny and not growing the way they should, but I knew it was a problem - I was concerned. If you, his mom, are not concerned, and the ped isn't expressing any concern, then I would just tell your mom that although you understand her worries, that you and the doc don't see a problem. If YOU are concerned, then talk to the ped or get a second opinion if you think they are wrong, but if you think he's fine, then don't worry about it. And he sounds fine to me.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:40 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• He is not too thin!! My breastfed grandson weighed 17 pounds at when he turned one!!!

You can expect a breastfed baby to double birthweight at 6 months and triple at a 12 months - 13 pounds at 6 months and 19.5 pounds at a year.

She is used to formula fed babies. We know what has happened to the generations of formula fed babies. They are now the obese adults!
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:42 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Um, no, not at all! My son was born at 7 lbs. 1 oz. We went for his 9 month check up today and he is 27.5 inches and 16 lbs. 3 oz. Third percentile in weight, 17th in height. He is breastfed and gets solids twice a day. He is average to advanced on all of his milestones. I'm not going to stress. What am I going to do to fatten him up anyway? Start giving him unhealthy foods purely for the sake of fattening him up? Your mom is mistaken. Your baby sounds fine to me! As long as he is happy, has good coloring, and plenty of wet diapers, he's fine!
    littlevic

Answer by littlevic at 5:44 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• If your son was underweight the doctor would have said something. Relax mama, grandmas are such worriers!
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 5:45 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• My thought is: Don't worry unless your pediatrician is worried! My inlaws made me feel like the worst mom on the planet cause my son was tall but very thin (still is). Every doctors' visit he was measured and weighed...they charted his progress and it was consistent, so they weren't alarmed at all. My husband's family just always has fat butterball babies and my son wasnt one! In fact it had me so upset that I looked at my own growth chart from when I was a baby....and his chart matched mine almost exactly, so it's just that he got my genes.
    I would definitely make sure the doctor doesn't have any reason to worry, and if they don't, you shouldn't either!!
    Anonymous

• I will said most mother think that weight... dont worrie my son your son is weight is perfect as well as his length my son is 29 weeks was born 9 pounds and he was19 3/4 long . now he is 27 in with 17 pound in hi last doctor's app. me and my husband always asked if the weight and lenght is ok? my son chart at the ped office has a chart that shows what he is suppoused to weiht as well as the length and so far it always been exact.. tell you mon to no worry you son is fine....
    zip10469

Answer by zip10469 at 5:49 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Is he filling (no pun intended) the quota for diapers (are you regularly changing wet diapers and does he have a poopy one every day or everyother day)? Does he seem happy and content after a feeding? I would go by your babies signals not your mothers. (some grandmas get nervous because when they were moms chunkier babies may have been the norm.)
    Just keep doing what you are doing momma. :-)
    anklebitr

Answer by anklebitr at 6:06 PM on Oct. 12, 2009