How old was your baby when you started giving them baby food from a jar?

Im 8 months, but my friend just had a daughter. She is a little less than a month old, and my friend is already trying to feed the baby greenbeans and different veggie baby foods... Is this to young? Im just asking cause IM not sure and Im on my way to having my own

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:39 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• I thinkj we started giving my daughter baby food at 4 months, that's when the doc said we could do it. A month old def is too young. There's really no need for your friend to be giving a month old baby food yet. She should just be giving her child breastmilk or formula
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 5:43 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• 6 months. Before then their digestive systems are too immature to process it and they can have severe pain. Also they haven't developed the reflexes to swallow solid foods at that age. Most of the time they will push a majority out of it with their tongues. Breastmilk or formula provides them with all the nutrition they need for the first 6 months.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 5:44 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Babies should have no food other than breastmilk or formula before 6 months. I would call cps. If she knows thins little about babies what else is she doing?!
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:44 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Well,back when I had my daughters 35 years ago, I fed my babies cereal at 2 weeks,then soft mashed pototoes,oatmeal,grits,at 4 months. I was so surprise when the doctor told my DD not to feed her babay until 6 months, of course I didn't wait, I fed all my grands at 4 months,but,you should always start off with applesauce,adding something new every other week.
    Anonymous

• My doc gave us the okay at 4 months, and recommended to start slow to factor out food allergies. I think calling CPS is a bit extreme, since our mothers most likely fed us table food at an early age then what is recommended now. Advise your friend to talk to her doctor before changing the recommended diet for her baby.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 5:58 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• DO NOT CALL CPS  that is stupid thing to do over this simple thing. a month is too young to be feeding the baby but it does not warrant involving CPS. my sister is a ped nurse and her rule was start at about 6 mths and start with light colored veggies first then move to darker ones ending with the greenas they get used to each food. Do not give them sweet foods like applesauce or pudding until they have been through all the veggies or you will have a hard time getting them to eat their veggies.

i never gave them jar food i just smashed our food up before i seasoned it and feed them home made food

mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 5:59 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Yeah, cps would laugh at you if you called. Wow, moms on here are quick to call cps over anything.

We didn't start solids until 6 months.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:03 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• My pediatricians told us 4 mths for cereal and we could start jar foods then too(basically after 4 mths). Thats what we did.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:25 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I tryed to feed my daughters food from the jar at about 4months to 6 months it depends on the baby and the food. My second daughter wanted what we were eating not her jar. so it was mixed.
    Sandra333

Answer by Sandra333 at 6:35 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I guess at about 6 , maybe 8 weeks. It has been so long,I'm not real sure. But they encouraged feeding strained foods such as bananas or applesauce with rice cereal to little ones.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 6:57 PM on Oct. 12, 2009