Have you ever "lost" your kid in a public place or left them @ home?

Tell your stories......

4monkees

Asked by 4monkees at 5:48 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• No but I am not so judgemental to think that parents are not human and cannot have stuff like this happen to them. None of us are perfect! My now 23 yr old son had a habit when he was around 3 where he would wander off. So one evening in a departement store I decided to let him walk off, staying where I could see him but he could not see me. It took about 10 mins for him to realize he was lost...when he started to panic and cry I went to him and said "see, this is why you need to stay where you can see mommy" He never did it again. I hired a sitter that I had known for yrs last march while we went to dinner. She fell asleep and her DD that was 2 opened the door and let herself and my two boys 2 and 3 out of the house. The neighbors had to round them up and call the police. I wanted to kill her! Shit happens and you should never be stuck up enough to think it won't happen to you!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:40 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Nope and I can't really understand how you could leave your kid at home, in a car, at the babysitters and not know that they weren't with you...
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:50 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Let me state that I meant if you are the person that normally cares for the child. No, pretty much anytime if you are a parent, you should never forget your child.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:51 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• No, but my parents forgot my brother once - they had 3 kids under 4 years old at the time and went out, locked the front door - walked about 2 minutes down the road and then RAN back as fast as they could when they realised.

Tsk tsk. He was fine though - and they learned their lesson.

ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 5:51 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• When my dd was 21 months old we went to Disneyland. I had my 9 month old (HUGE) ds strapped to me in a carrier. He was already about 25 pounds. My brother and I were in line and I saw my dad walk by, alone. Then I saw my mom, alone. I asked where my dd was and she said with your dad. OMG NO SHE IS NOT I JUST HIM!!!!! So her I am hopping over all the railing w/ my 25 pound baby strapped to me freaking out about where my toddler was. She was with my dad but he went to get her a churro and.............. We run back to the churro stand and there she was happily eating her churro and never even knew she was lost.
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 5:52 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Yep, with seven kids it is inevitable that at least one would get misplaced.

We were at Best buy and I told my 16 year old to watch his sister, which he was doing, but at some point he said he was going to go look at something, well I guess that was code for I am leaving my sister behind, I didn't get the "code" so I thought he had her, it wasn't unitl about 20 minutes later that he showed up...minus his sister. Talk about miscommuniation! Well as panic set in one of the workers was bringing her to the front. All of my preperation about what to do if we got seperated paid off cause she found someone in a uniform and told them she lost her brother.

It was a little scary, needless to say we are all much more carefull!
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 5:56 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Another one, but it was my dh who was left. He was about 7 years old and his sister had a soccer game about and hour away. They all (3 adults and 5 or 6 kids)got into the car, and drove there. He was playing in the backyard and realized everyone was gone. He tried to get into the house and it was locked. He went to both neighbors' houses and they were gone as well. So he decided to climb up 'his' tree. There he waited forhis parents to come home.
    When the rest of the family got to the soccer game his mom realized that he wasn't with them. So of course they drove back immediately, but remember this was an hour away one way. He is so traumatized over it, he makes the kids do roll call, as soon as we get into the van.
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 5:59 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• You know forgetting kids in cars,home,etc. is more common then you think, in the pass 1 yr. we have had 3 cases in or near PA., 1 case a grandfather forgot to take the child out the car seat and the child died,it was a very bad accident,he wasn't charged,then,the mom couldn't afford daycare ,so she left her baby in the car.Now,believe it or not,this just happen over the weekend in Chester Pa.,the mother left her 12 yr. old son in the car at the casino,she was arrested.out of all of these cases, the one with grandfather touched my heart,because even the child's parent said this man was an awesome grandfather and he adore this child so much,they he didn't want her out of his sight. You just don't know when an accident like this can happen.

Anonymous

• Often times I have to remind myself that ds is in the car because he gets so quiet. We have been driving home from being out and my dh asks me to reach back and check if we "remembered" the baby.....
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 6:35 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• NO !
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 6:54 PM on Oct. 12, 2009