How much food can a dog actually eat?

I've yet to see a time when my dog will walk away from food. So, I have to wonder, do they continue to eat long after they are full, or do they at some point, decide they are full? He eats more than me! Oh, he's a medium size CockerSpaniel, about 34 lbs. (and growing!!) Ugh...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:59 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Some dogs will never be responsible enough to "free feed" no matter how well trained they are. They are animals and they can really only remember the last 8 minutes. Some dogs never really feel full or their survival instinct is so strong to eat as much as possible to prepare for famine. Wolves in the wild will eat until ALL the food is GONE. It's a matter of survival. Some dogs still have that instinct.

Feed high quality food on a schedule. Your vet can help you gauge what your dog needs and his ideal weight.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:34 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• there should be a chart on the back of the bag. it will say how many cups to feed by the weight of the dog. most dogs will eat and eat & keep eating if the food tastes good. you should never over feed your dog b/c extra weight is unhealthy as it is for humans.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 6:04 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Yea, I agree with the pp, dogs food isn't supposed to be left out to eat constantly. HOWEVER you can train a dog to eat this much, then they are done, and eventually you can leave it out and they'll just eat when hungry.
    Tiera12

Answer by Tiera12 at 6:05 PM on Oct. 12, 2009