swine flu and 6 week old baby

its going around like super bad around here right now, and im pretty sure i got, i went to the er and the doc said they dont test for it but it does sound like i do indeed got it. bad sore throat,cough body hurts all over, extremely bad headache, fever and chills...i have a 6 week old who sleeps in our room, and i cant bf anymore because of meds i have to be on...how bad is it going to be if he does get it? like how shoudl i watch for early signs in him???????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:10 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• get off the meds and BREASTFEED him - seriously.
    or find meds you can take while Bfing.
    The ONLY thing you can do to protect him right now is to breastfeed. formula wont protect him from anything.
    Anonymous

• if that was a possibility i wouldnt have stopped but it isnt and i have to stop breastfeeding for my own good...so thank you for nothing.
    Anonymous

• honestly i wouldnt have the baby around myself or in the same room it can kill the baby way easier then it can kill you considering you can keep yourself hydrated and such you should really keep yourself away from the child as much as possible
    Anonymous

Jeez, you made it sound like you quit bfing because of the Swine Flu meds. The respondent was just trying to help and educate you. No need to be so rude when people are answering your darn question.
    Anonymous

• BFing is the only and best defense of swine flu for infants under 6 months. I'm sorry that that information offends you, but even the CDC has said that.

I'm not sure what you're on, but Tamiflu and all the other antivirals are safe for pregnancy and BFing. There are anithistamines, decongestants, fever reducers, and cough medicines that are all safe and approved for BFing.

If BFing is not an option at all then you need someone else to care for your newborn right now, like a family member, and preferably not in your home where baby will be exposed to the flu all day.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 7:02 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• i agree breast feeding your baby would be best if the baby is sick, but if you can have someone watch the baby for couple of days and avoid getting the baby sick i would do that. but when i was bfeeding i would get sick, but my baby would never get it, just try not to get really close to babys face and wash hands, and sanitize!!!!! good luck.
    Anonymous

• Your baby has already been exposed to the virus. Once one is diagnosed with a virus the virus 99% of the time has already been passed to those that you are in direct contact with. The best thing and the only thing that anyone can do for baby is to breastfeed. There is absolutely nothing better and there may be nothing more a doctor can do for a baby of such a young age. I would do what I had to to protect my LO but the decision is yours.

Anonymous

• Harvard pediatrician Claire McCarthy made this statement on Health Beat about how to protect babies from H1N1:
    "Breastfeed! Breast milk contains antibodies that can help keep her healthy. Don't stop breastfeeding if you get sick--the antibodies your body makes to fight your infection will pass through the milk and give her a head start on fighting the same infection. If she gets sick, breast milk is absolutely the best thing for her."
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:08 PM on Oct. 12, 2009