Oops. I got busted by my 8 yo! Anyone else ever get busted by the kids?

So after coming home from a very busy day without eating. I was starving. When the kids headed to the playroom I grabbed an Ice Cream Cone out of the freezer and started eating it while getting everything together to cook dinner. Well, while wolfing it down my 8 yo son walks into the kitchen and caught me. Then the questions started. Can I have an ice cream too? No, it will spoil your dinner. Well how come it wont spoil your dinner? Because I am an adult and I can handle more food. I tried to explain to him that I had not eaten all day but that just caused more questions. LOL. I felt like a kid caught in the cookie jar. Anyone else ever been busted by the kids doing something you wont let them do? How did you handle it? I'm not talking about the big things? I mean the small funny stuff like no sweets before dinner.

JEAmom3

Asked by JEAmom3 at 6:31 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• No, mine is too little yet, but that is hilarious!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:40 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Yes :) My lil grl knows she can't have crackers (cookies, anything with CRUMBS) on the carpet after I vacuum.

Well one day I had an oreo or something and I was eating it- about to change the baby.
    She had all these questions, how come you can have a cookie on the floor?

Try explaining to a 2year old, lol
    kerri-

Answer by kerri- at 6:45 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Yes, I have. I had to resort to the old "Because I said so" when he asked me a question I had no answer for. I don't even remember now what the question was. lol It was same type situation, too. I got caught eating something I had told them they couldn't have.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:46 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• He's 8? He doesn't know by now that sometimes adults get to do things kids can't. Maybe it's time you began teaching him that lesson. Don't let him guilt you into things. You are the mom, so don't let him question you about your behavior. Trust me. He will then go to school and think he can do the same thing to the teacher. Save him that trouble.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:51 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Ive gotten caught many times. My kids will usually come and say something like "what are you eating mommy" then Ill get a "umm that looks good can I have some" and then of course the questions about why I can have some and they cant. They kinda gang up on me :-)
    rjrambrocio

Answer by rjrambrocio at 8:05 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• yeah i done the snacking while cooking and i tell them that i havent ate much today so i can..but i started teaching them that cookies and sweets and chips are a sometimes food that too much can cause health problems so now my 6 yr hits me with mom that will make you fat you better stop eating it and save room for dinner lol
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 8:06 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Well, I came home and discovered that my 2-year-old's goldfish (Nemo) was floating. I thought I was all incognito by quickly scooping it up and power walking it to the toilet. My DD came rushing in just as Nemo hit the water. She started waving and singing, "bye bye Nemo!" I told her that Nemo went back to the pet store and the next day we went to pick him up. When she gets older I will tell her the truth about death and dying, but at 2, innocence is something I want her to hold onto. ;-)
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 9:22 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Wow jesse123456. I never asked what lesson I should teach him. I am so glad that you are a perfect parent with perfect children but I live in the real world where telling an 8 yo he can't have ice cream before dinner doesn't stop him from wanting it. My children do know that they can't do everything adults do but they are children after all. They will question why.Where in the post did I say that he used guilt to get me to give in? My sons know that no means no. As far as school goes, my child is not perfect but he does very well in school. He follows the rules and very rarely gets in trouble. I don't think my 8 yo questioning why I can have an Ice cream without ruining my dinner and he can't is going to cause total chaos in my home or at school. You missed the whole point of the post and I really don't react well to unsolicited parenting advice. Way to ruin the fun with your lessons.
    JEAmom3

Answer by JEAmom3 at 10:45 PM on Oct. 12, 2009