stairs

when do kids start alternating feet when walking up stairs? or when did yours?

AmandaN1

Asked by AmandaN1 at 6:31 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• My youngest is 3 1/2 and has been doing it for awhile but she's kind of tall for her age. My oldest was still crawling up stairs at this age because she didn't have the strength in her legs to walk and was doing the 1 step at a time at 5 (while my other two were running up and down the stairs--they were 4 and 3 at the time).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:44 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• she's 2.5 and alternates between the same and alternating feet.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:33 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I don't remember!! I think the age has more to do with their size - when those little legs can stretch that far! I know my first born did it pretty early, but then he was SO tall!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:39 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• 2-2.5
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:53 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I live in a house with big stairs for the second floor and different levels with 2 and 3 steps to go down in different sections of the house. When I had my son I was sure he would get hurt in one of them and he never did, he use to go down in his butt, until he figured out how to do it with his feet! It s up to the individual kid.

Answer by older at 7:07 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• She's been alternating since she was 3...we have rather large stairs for little legs.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 7:09 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Sorry mama, I have 5 kids, I could not for the life of me tell you something like that. I am lucky to remember when they crawled etc.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:23 AM on Oct. 13, 2009