funeral

im the girl that posted would you go to her funeral. okay here is my other question. i have 3 kids ages 4, 2, and 7 months would you take your children to the funeral...... my mother says its no place for children and i think the same way but i dont want my hubby to say something to me in the long run......

adoradamia

Asked by adoradamia at 6:38 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Relationships

• We have always taken our children to funerals. Death is a part of life, and the sooner you start teaching your children that, the better off they will be.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:46 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Just ask him what HE wants

Answer by admckenzie at 6:47 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I would allow them to go to the wake, where people are talking and they wouldn't be that much of a disruption but it really is too much to ask of a 2yr old and 7month old to not interfere and be silent at a funeral. Now if your husband wants them to go, then by all means take them. I believe the 4 yr old is old enough for the funeral. Children do need to learn about death from an early age so it doesn't come as so much of a shock to them later. Now is the perfect time to begin teaching them about it BUT I can also understand not taking them as well. Some kids would behave perfectly, others would run wild. How do they behave in church or in a restaurant?
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 7:00 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I agree with NancyB .I always took my kids from very young.
    sirrera

Answer by sirrera at 7:05 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• When my grandfather died, I took my children to the funeral. They were only 1 and 3 at the time. I know they were frustrated, but we took them outside and they had older kids to play with. We went in the morning and came home for naps and went back in the afternoon for the service. My grandpa was an awesome man and it was important the my kids got to hear stories of when we were little and when he was little and my mom was little. It was a time to laugh and remember him. If only for a couple of hours, take your kids. Everyone will be glad in the long run. Good luck.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 7:17 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I think it's far too early to try teaching about mortality. The oldest is only 4, for goodness sake. It's really too much to ask of them to sit through a service, any of them, I agree with your mother on this. A funeral is no place for children that young.
    Anonymous

• I would only take my children to a funeral if it was a direct family member of them (aunt, uncle, grandparent, cousin). I most certainly would NOT take young children to a funeral of a friend. The friend that is in mourning (and other family members of the deceased) may not appreciate children running around the funeral home, clinging to their parents who may be trying to give their condolences, or snacking in the back (just to stay quiet).

Find a sitter if it's not family.
    Anonymous