My boyfriend of 7 years thinks $150.00 is alot of money to feed a familey of 6

he gets mad at me every time I spend any money on chips crackers stuff like that and I stay at home with 4 kids all day what should I do he thinks i only need to buy dinners and no snak stuff

amandatyler23

Asked by amandatyler23 at 6:41 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Relationships

• tell him to do the grocery shopping next time.
    Anonymous

• I agree with him! Sorry about that. LOL! We are soon to be a family of 6 and I spend less then $100 on groceries. This week I only spent $40. Money is tight, but even when it wasn't, I have never spent more than $100. Our groceries include toiletries!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:43 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I think it's amazing that you can feed a family of 6 for so little.
    Anonymous

• Money for snacks like that is like throwing hard earned money out the window. I'm with dh on this one. Buy fruit for the kids.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:44 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• WOW. $150 for a family of 6? We are a family of 5 and I can't get out of the store for $150. Try taking him shopping with you and he will see how much everything costs these days. And tell him if he has a problem with you buying snacks then he shouldn't eat any of them that way they will last longer. JMO.
    JEAmom3

Answer by JEAmom3 at 6:47 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I agree with the other poster. Have him do the grocery shopping next time, and see what he comes back with and how much it cost!

My husband does all of the grocery shopping. We have store savings cards, cut coupons, belong to a warehouse club, and only buy things on sale, and we are a family of four! There are many ways to cut down on spending, and STILL have money left over for the occasional treat!

It is also FAR cheaper and healthier (especially since you're a SAHM), to prepare your own meals in advance. Casseroles, stews/soups, and chicken and pasta dishes are VERY easy to prepare and all reheat well!

I prepare meals on the weekends--and my family (die to varied schedules) eats when they want to during the week. We steer clear of processed/prepared frozen dinners and products as much as possible because they can be VERY expensive consumed on a regular basis.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:49 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Are you talking weekly? That is what my family of 6 spends in a week. Of course I don't buy chips or sodas and I hardly ever buy pre-made treats. I always buy food that we can use for a couple of days. We make lots of soups and roasts. And we almost always buy or fruits and vegetables fresh. My family also likes simple meals. Spaghetti, macaroni and cheese, lasagna, chili. This goes a long way. Also, clip coupons. It is annoying, but it does feel good to know that you saved some money. Also, go to stores that have sales. This will help you save. Good luck.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 6:53 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• it takes us about that much to feed a family of 4. snacks? i'll buy saltine crackers, veggie crackers, fruits, fishies, yogurt, and applesauce. that's about it for snacks, and i normally grab a big pack to last us a long time. only reason i get the veggie crackers is cuz my toddler is a picky eater and i need him to eat some veggies. i give him V8 juice too.

everything else i buy is things for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, oh and also i have toilet paper, paper towels, diapers/pullups, wipes, dish soap, laundry detergent, ect on that list which is why it takes that much to get groceries. the food isn't that much after you add all the household stuff together

you shouldn't need many snacks, especially if you keep to a eating schedule. we only have maybe 2 snacks a day. we have breakfast, snack, lunch, snack and dinner. sometimes the kids skip morning snack cuz they're too busy playing or they just don't want it.
    Anonymous

• I feed a family of 5 for slightly more than that every two weeks. Take him shopping with you and let him see what it's like.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 6:54 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I'm sorry but anyone who says they feed a family on $150 or less, b.s. Just because you are a SAHM, doesn't mean suddenly cassaroles, chili and all that is cheaper. It all still costs and making enough for a family of six really costs. It really is okay to have some snacks in the house. Your boyfriend should try staying home with the kids once in a while. It would be an eye opener. I kind of doubt he goes without what he wants.
    Anonymous