Has anyone been successful giving a 10 week old breastfed baby a bottle?

My daughter is 10 months old and EBF. I only tried once so far giving her the bottle and it didn't go well at all. I think she was about 6 or 7 weeks when I tried it. I know I should've started earlier but I'm a SAHM and thought oh there's no need for the bottle right now - I'm regretting that now. But today I am going to try again with an AVENT bottle, since this is the only bottle I have. I am going to use the newborn flow nipple. Has anyone been successful doing this?

LittleMonster22

Asked by LittleMonster22 at 6:44 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son is 7 months and i have try bottle feeding him and he wont take it. i started going to school monday thru friday for 4 hours and he waits for me until i get home istead of taking the bottle. i have tryed about 7 or 8 different kind and he just wont take it. good luck. im trying to stop but when he dont take the bottle and he just keeps on crying thats when i give in and give him the boob
    adoradamia

Answer by adoradamia at 6:47 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Yes but I couldn't give it...my DH had to and I couldn't be in the room or she wouldn't take it. I opted for the playtex drop ins after 5 or so failed attempts at bottle selection.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:49 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Every single one of my kids has been SO different. My first would take anything from any nipple!!! I think he took a bottle at 2 weeks. My second born refused anything but me. At 10 months he quit nursing because of something I ate. It took us 2 days to get him to take a bottle. I was SO worried he would be dehydrated!! My daughter was in between the two boys. It took a LOT of attempts but she eventually has taken a bottle. My husband was more successful than I when she was younger.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:51 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I am kinda confused, is she 10 weeks or 10 months? If she is 10 weeks she might take a bottle from someone else. My dd won't take a bottle from me but will from others.
    If she is 10 months try a sippy cup with a straw.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 7:09 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• WHOOPS! I meant that she is 10 WEEKS not 10 months..hah so sorry!!!!
    LittleMonster22

Answer by LittleMonster22 at 7:14 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Also, since I breastfeed I have no idea how much she typically drinks in a feeding...How much should I put in the bottle?
    LittleMonster22

Answer by LittleMonster22 at 7:21 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• My dd is 10 weeks and I put 4 oz. She will usually drink most of that.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 9:05 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• its good u didnt start to early,i had some troubles,everyone kept telling me to have someone else feed her but it didnt work,what worked for me,was let her feed from u for a minute,then as fast as u can hurry and switch and put the bottle in her mouth and keep trying this a few times befor giving up.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:53 PM on Oct. 12, 2009