Daddy isn't waking up with baby?

Hi everyone,

I'm having an issue getting my son's father to wake up with him in the middle of the night. It is bothering him as well. He is a hard sleeper. It's difficult for him to wake up to an alarm, much less Owen crying. We have tried moving the monitor to various places in the room, including right next to his head. We have tried a bunch of different things but nothing seems to be working. Have any of you been through this? How did you get your significant other to get up on his own with the baby? Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Amy

comeforquiet

Asked by comeforquiet at 7:00 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yep, had this problem and he only started hearing her after about 18 months. Sorry.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:01 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Sorry I have no advice. I am a hard sleeper as well and had a hard time hearing the babies cry. Hubby always woke me up. Still wakes me up even though our children aren't babies anymore because I can't hear alarm clocks.
    Anonymous

• I always get up with my DD because my husband has such a hard time getting to sleep that if he woke up with her every time he would never sleep... you just get used to it.
    HolliBerry21

Answer by HolliBerry21 at 7:03 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• We have both always gotten up with our DD and My hubby will tell me go back to sleep if I have to go into work for 4-5am. I have the best hubby ever. I would wake him up when you hear the baby go get the baby and bring the baby to him and then when you know he is up with the baby, go back to bed. GL
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 7:11 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Why does he need to get up? Are you working nights or away when the baby is sleeping and he is the only one there? I didn't really understand the situation fully from the way your worded the question.

I'm pregnant with my 3rd right now. My DD is 3 years old and my DS is 17 months old and still not sleeping completely through the night yet. And I am the only one who has ever gotten up to care for the babies at night. I've cared for them at night through pregnancies and illnesses.

To make up for my lack of sleep, he gets up with the baby when he wakes early and lets me sleep until he has to get dressed for work.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 7:13 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• My husband hasn't woken up to any child since our first was about 2 weeks old. I'm jealous that your hubby is upset by this. Mine brags about being the best slept parent of a newborn.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 7:16 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• My husband has never woken up to take care of our baby. He was also deployed for my son's first three months.
    Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 7:16 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I breastfed so there was no relying on anyone but myself, which I was more then happy to do. Setting up that platform for a healthy life was worth every sleepless night and then some. I hope you are able to get use to doing it yourself or at least waking dad up to do what he should. Good Luck!

Anonymous

• My DH is the same way. So I'm the one who gets up with the kids in the middle of the night. If I'm up with one, and the other wakes up, then I wake him and tell him he has to help. I really have no advice for you. I just dealt with it, and honestly, am bitter because of it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:47 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Come up with a schedule where he can help that isn't such a battle. I'm a morning person, My husband is a night owl. I put the baby to bed and my husband could take care of the first feeding. Then I could get up during the night and I'm not mad at him for not waking up.
    Glutenfreebaby

Answer by Glutenfreebaby at 8:28 PM on Oct. 12, 2009