What do you think about the child who took a cub scout tool to school and got suspended?

The school has a zero tolerance rule with weapons. Personally the little boy doesnt look threatening to me, but if my child were at that school I would want the "tool" taken away from the child as well. I wonder did the parents allow him to take it knowing there was a knife on it? or did he take it without their knowledge... I know in my highschool a girl brought a gun into my english class once. So its not a joke when kids bring stuff like that to school. The safety of my child while in school is number one on any parents list. So if a child brings something that can be used as a weapon id want something done... what do you think?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/12/education/12discipline.html?no_interstitial

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:27 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it's crap. I mean...come on!! The boy is 6 years old for goodness sakes!!!! Like he's gonna stap someone with the spoon...... That school is soooo stupid! Are they really that afraid of a 6 YO?
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 7:29 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• yes just like a knife can be used as a hunting tool, they have dual purposes....if there is a rule about it, then all kids need to follow it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:29 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• It's called a spork. It has a small cerated edge on it. You can buy plastic ones at Wal-Mart. It is no more a weapon than the forks in the lunchroom. I think the school over reacted.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:31 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I saw it on the news and it does have a small knife,along with the "camping tools" and if they have a rule, it should be obeyed. Personally I would not give my son a tool with a knife. In MN where they hunt alot, people give their sons "Swiss Army Knives"....a weapon...all the time. I think its a snobby thing and , more important,dangerous. The kid is too little to be carrying a weapon to school. Just nuts. BUT I don't think he should be suspended and sent to reform school. THAT is over doing it.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 7:34 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• We had a student in a 5th grade class stabbed in the neck by another student. The assailant used...............the teacher's scissors. The teacher actually got in trouble for having them on her desk. A spork brought to school by an innocent 6 year old who was excited by his new Cub Scout tool is not the problem. Until the real problem is addressed, the violence will continue.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:36 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I see both sides to this, it was a device similar to a swiss army knife, NOT a spork, which should not be allowed in the school. But, I do feel the punishment was harsh for a 6 year old, a suspension and a parent/school board conference should have been done, not him begin expelled. I do blame the parents on this one because before giving it to him they should have discussed what it was, what it can do, and only where he can have it.
    viridian

Answer by viridian at 7:55 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• This is a six-year-old, first grade child. This is not a Columbine High School teenager or a 20 something immigrant attending Virginia Tech, a college. He had just joined the Cub Scouts and been given the new tool. He had no idea it was a weapon and had formed no intent to use it as such. Suspending him and sentencing him to 45 days in reform school is NOT the way to teach him a lesson. One reason we send kids to school is to learn to apply reason and common sense. How can they learn that whn the teachers and school officials don't use discretion, judgement, reason and common sense?
    Or wait, yes, on second thought, it certainly will teach him a lesson, but it won't be the one we want him to learn.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 8:15 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Technically, since he is first grade he would be a Tiger scout. Hmm, maybe the courts could petition the Boy Scouts of America to replace this camping utensil with a spork like utensil so that there aren't any mix ups in the future.

I get that rules are rules, but really? WTF has our world come to? Next thing you know, he will be prosecuted as an adult.

Anonymous

• Zero tolerance rules are a joke.  A fifth grader comes in with a 10 inch hunting knife with definite plans to stab someone, and he will get the same punishment as a harmless 6 year old with a boy scout spork.  Yeah, that strikes me as fair and balanced.  NOT.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 8:59 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Wow, we must have some really lax laws here in VA. My sister and I went to different high schools. I went to the city school which was pretty strict, no weapons (couldn't even have a nail file). But my sister went to a county school where most of the students lived way out in the country or in the mountains. They allowed students to bring their hunting rifles to school as long as they were locked in their cars, unloaded and in a closed container (rifle box) or trunk, so kids could come straight from hunting to school or vice versa. They've never had any problems with shootings or violence, but these kids are trained in gun safety from early childhood because they went hunting with their dads or moms. Their school population was small. Her graduating class was about 150.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 9:17 PM on Oct. 12, 2009