What to wear to a wedding?!

A really good friend of mines wedding is this coming up weekend. I have no idea what to wear. Its a semi formal/ formal wedding. I feel like I should wear a dress which is fine but I dont have any except for a really sparkely one that goes to the knee and has skinny straps. Its been pretty cold theres only supposed a high of 45 this weekend! What should I wear?! Should i try to find a full length dress or or wear pants or? Oh and Im plus size so that makes it difficult to find things to wear.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:35 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Could you add a shawl or jacket over the dress? There are awesome sales going on right now, if you have a great pair of wide leg pants look for a pretty sheear blouse or sequined top to wear--I know I hate this kind of thing, because you never know what to do!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 7:48 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Ditto, I couldn't think of anything else. The sales people at Dillard's or JCPenney should be able to give you some ideas. Good luck, I hate trying to figure out what to wear.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 7:56 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Your dress sounds good. You'd wear a coat to get there. Then it should be warm enough in the rooms. You could take a shawl to wrap around you if you might be chilly in the rooms.

Answer by Bmat at 8:44 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Your dress should be fine with a shawl/sweater/jacket as long as its not red, black or white, those are NO NO colors to a wedding unless you're in the wedding party and those are the colors of the wedding.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 9:24 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I don't agree with AP, red or black are fine for a wedding, especially one that is formal/semi formal. I think that only white is taboo anymore. I would try the sparkly dress with a short bolero jacket or dressier cardigan sweater, that would look really nice. If you can pair it with a nice black or cream colored cardigan and some strappy shoes it would be appropriate. Or nice black slacks with a beautiful peasant blouse, accented with chunky jewelry. Us plus size girls can always look beautiful, pm me if you have any other questions.
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 8:07 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• If it is going to be cold then what i would do is wear some dress pants. And a nice swetter type shirt. This way you are able to stay warm and still be dressed for the occasion. I have done this a few times when it was colder. You could also find a shaw or jacket that can be worn over the dress but that will be hard considering the length of the dress. You can also just get a new dress. And wearing black or red is fine! Just dont wear white....emnasmom...you are so right pluss size women can look amazing! My best friend is a biger girl and she always blows me away with the way she looks.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 8:16 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• these days, you can almost wear anything you want. the last 3 weddings we've attended incorporated somehow formal wear, flipflops, bluejeans, miniskirts, sequins and leather. we were underdressed at one, overdressed for the next, and hot and miserable for the third. wear something you will be comfortable in, nobody there will remember what you wore that day.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:28 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• YOU can wear your dress with a nice jacket, dress it up with the right color earrings and other jewelry. If you want some new head for Catherine's they had a lot of nice clothes for the plus sizes. You can also dress up most pants suit fr a wearing again the assocaries make a big difference.keep the assocaries big but simple , the right color to go withthe outfit, and gems if you have them.

Alieda

Answer by Alieda at 12:16 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• The rule is to not draw attention from the bride. I'm not sure how sparkly your dress is but if it will detract from the bride I would reconsider. I wouldn't wear pants though. When I have to go to weddings or some place I don't normally go all the time I just hit the consignment stores and thrift stores for something cheap that I will probably never wear again. Or, go buy something, keep the tags on it but tuck them in, and return it the next day. Yes that is probably not a nice thing to tell you but many folks do it.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:36 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• What's wrong with the traditional black dress? You can get a great pair of colorful shoes (heels or flats) and bold jewelry to match. With matching or coordinating nail polish (matching to the accessories, not the black dress), you will look awesome without taking away from the bride or looking over dressed. Purple is hot for the fall, and it goes very well with black.

No matter how limited your budget, you can find a black dress although a quality black dress is a great investment for everyone's closet no matter what size you are.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 5:55 PM on Oct. 14, 2009