how to keep flies away from dog food??

my dog is an outside dog and when the food gets wet the flies cant keep away from it... any tips?????

mellyhayes

Asked by mellyhayes at 7:46 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Pets

• My husband built a big dog house and I keep my dogs food in there cause the heat seems to atract the fries to the food aswell, but in the dog house it stays dry and cool.
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 7:52 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Are you feeding him too much? We had outside dogs, and 2 times a day we fed them, they ate like wolves, so there was never any left. Flies will find dog food anywhere, I would dump it after it rained or was out more than 12 hours or so, it can spoil, because it has a meat base, good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 7:55 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Do you have a mud room that you could maybe feed the dog in there?
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:32 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I wouldn't leave the food outside to get wet. I would give the dog 15-20 minutes to eat, then pick the food up. It would be better than leaving it outside all day and making the dog sick. If there are flies on/around the food, they are laying eggs on the food, then the eggs will hatch into maggots! Yuck! Do you want your dog eating that??
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:15 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Bring the dog inside. Problem solved.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 6:44 PM on Oct. 13, 2009