5mo, diarhhea 2wks straight. doc said normal. suggestions???

My 5mo daughter had the RotaVirus vaccine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotavirus and got diarhhea. The doc said she will pass it on her own and be fine soon. That was three days ago. She still has diarhhea. Her bum is so chapped, im using desitin. Im giving her pedilite to keep her hydrated. I've given her beech nut rice cereal, and it makes her stools harden a bit. But the doc suggested I dont give her cereal while she has diarhhea because it could make it worse. Any suggestions?

stenhouse_baby

Asked by stenhouse_baby at 8:09 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Corn starch helps with blistered bottoms (if its a regular rash. Corn starch will exacerbate a yeast infection). Also, do not use baby wipes containing alcohol. I found it easiest on my DD if I just dipped her blistered butt in cool (but not cold) water. She still cried, but I know the heat hurts worse :S
    Anonymous

• the diiarhea can be cause of theething. try to keep her hydratadee ... it willend up soon
    zip10469

Answer by zip10469 at 8:13 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Has anyone ever had to battle diarrhea this long? 2 weeks seems so long
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 8:17 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Call me crazy but don't knock it till you tried it. In my pediatrician's guide to child care it says about two table spoons of orange soda or grape pop every four hours. The corn syrup stops the vomiting and the diarrhea. It really did work for me. You get tired of sore blistered butts you know! Don't worry mom, it's not enough to be bad for her or rot her teeth! Normally my children are not allowed to have pop of any kind!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:18 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• If your DD is eating solids, give her the brat diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast). All these foods bind the stool. Breastfeed on demand (or follow your normal formula schedule).

I highly suggest looking into this. I don't know if it excessive diarrhea is a normal side effect of vaccines, but I would be concerned about continuing to inject my child with those toxins.
    Anonymous

• My oldest son had diarrhea for more than 2 weeks. I gave him smashed bananas to eat (he was 5 1/2 month old) and gave him a lot to drink. I worked for us. His lil behind was so open, that he also had open and bleeding spots on it. For this I found the A&D natural ointment, it's clear and looks like vaseline, but it worked great, after 2 days it was looking so much better!
    Hope your lil one is over it soon.
    Anonymous

• Thank you all so much for this information!
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 1:00 AM on Oct. 13, 2009