How long do you swaddle your baby?

I have a 12 week old daughter who I continue to swaddle to go to sleep because otherwise her arms swing about and wake her up. However, sometimes, she wakes herself up trying to get out of the swaddle. Any suggestions?

QTpie1

Asked by QTpie1 at 8:15 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son was like that only the firs week he was born And i stoped, your daughter wanst to be confortable
    zip10469

Answer by zip10469 at 8:18 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Same here! 5mo, still swaddeling. But only for bedtime. I weaned her off the swaddle for naps. But she honestly will not sleep until I swaddle her- she screams and fights it, but once the swaddles on, shes out. I think its fine. every baby is different. Just follow their ques- baby will let you know when they want to stop being swaddled.
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 8:21 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Here is what I found online:http://www.parenting.com/article/Baby/Health/Ask-Dr-Sears-Alternatives-to-Baby-Swaddling " But there are two problems with the "sleep tight" method. First, many babies who initially enjoy being wrapped burrito-style, later prefer to stretch (and therein strengthen muscle movements) -- usually at about 3 months of age. Secondly, while swaddling is fine to settle a baby, I strongly discourage leaving babies swaddled throughout the night. Swaddling babies too often and for too long can interfere with the normal development of the ball-and-socket joint in the hip (infant hip dislocation is common in cultures that use long-term swaddling)."

Answer by Bmat at 8:24 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I'd say until he/she lets you know that's not the preferred method!
    kbates1208

Answer by kbates1208 at 9:17 PM on Oct. 12, 2009