What type of schedule should a 5 week old be on?

My baby is getting cranky and I think it would help to put her on a schedule. We have a sleep routine, but I'm wondering about naps/feedings etc.

First time mommy needs help!!

km1217

Asked by km1217 at 8:34 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At 5 weeks at schedule is a bit much. Schedules in infants can actually lead to many negatives (failure to thrive being one). Follow baby's cues and everyone will be happy!

Anonymous

• Um....LMAO! He or she should be on HIS OR HER OWN SCHEDULE! Screw your schedule. A baby that young makes it's own schedule...Mommy and Daddy are just going to have to DEAL with it!
    Anonymous

• i have 3 boys and i was on their sedule at that age. I totally agree with annon 837. But if the sleep scedule is working for everyone, i would continue that, but the feeding i would take the babies cues on.
    Anonymous

• Whatever schedule works for baby. That's the right schedule.
    elleinad

Answer by elleinad at 8:43 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Thank you for your input.
    km1217

Answer by km1217 at 8:56 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I'd say an on demand schedule, this young.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:58 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• My 4 month old still doesn't have much of a schedule! although I am a sahm so I don't need a schedule as much as some mommies do...I think if you want to attempt to start a schedule - I do agree that 5 weeks is a bit early - but it might help to just start writing down when your baby naps, eats, etc and that way you can start to notice some trends and work with those...good luck!!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 9:01 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Thank you stepmom929
    I felt alittle attacked by some of the other answers!! I just want to do what is best for my baby.
    km1217

Answer by km1217 at 9:06 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I'm a first time mom too, I know how you feel :)
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 9:08 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• There is a book called On Becoming Baby Wise. I don't remember who the author is but it is an awesome book. I have used the method in it on all my kiddos with great success! It is a eat/wake/sleep schedule. And all my kids were sleeping all night by 8 weeks (from 10m-5am)

Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 9:08 PM on Oct. 12, 2009