Why Rear Facing car seats?

B4 I came to CM I never heard of putting a child older than 1 rear facing. Why do it? I'm not bashing I'm really interested. Wouldn't thier legs break in an accident?

mommix4

Asked by mommix4 at 8:47 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• Here is an example of a 16 month old girl, ERF (extended rear facing...past the age of 1 year) when her mommy's car was REAR ENDED by another car going 65 MPH!

http://myangelsaliandpeanut.tripod.com/id5.html

Here is a video on the importance of RF:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2DVfqFhseo

In all honesty, no, your 3, almost 4 year old is fine to FF...however just make sure she/he is in a 5 point harness, and not in a booster.  And here is why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2LFo8vVi04

milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 10:15 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I think it depends on the weight of the baby. When mine were 30 lbs and sitting up on their own they rode in a car seat, forward facing with a 5 point harness.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:53 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I suppose breaking legs is possible, but I am not really sure on that one. I HAVE read a story or two about children suffering from internal decapitation. I personally would rather my child suffer a broken leg than a fate far worse . . .

Rear facing is so much safer :~) The AAP recommends rear facing at least until the age of two, or until the child outgrows the seat. Its actually safer for you and I to ride rear facing also, if it wouldn't get in the way of seeing the road lol
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:57 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Everything I've heard and read suggests that it is much safer. There have been no incidents reported of a larger child breaking their legs from being rear facing, and personally, I'd rather legs be broken then neck. I do it because my 26 mo old DS is still very small, weighing in around 23 lbs. So, legally, I could have turned him a short time ago, but chose to keep him RF until he's not so much of a peanut. Hope I was helpful.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:09 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Where are all the car seat nazis when yah need em?
    Tams_jade

Answer by Tams_jade at 9:27 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Okay some of that makes sense. What's a car seat nazi? so should my 3 year old almost 4 still be rear facing?
    mommix4

Answer by mommix4 at 9:53 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I turned my son forward facing before 12 months. Then I did some research and after being SUPER stubborn about it, I faced the fact that it is much safer. I turned him back to rear-facing at 18 months and he LOVES it. Better broken legs than a broken neck or brain damage.
    HUmama

Answer by HUmama at 10:31 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Rearfacing is safest for both adults and children, but especially for babies, who would face a greater risk of spinal cord injury in a front-facing carseat during a frontal crash. They spread frontal crash forces over the whole area of a child's back, head and neck; they also prevent the head from snapping relative to the body in a frontal crash. They may not be quite as effective in a rear end crash, but severe frontal and frontal offset crashes are far more frequent and far more severe than severe rear end crashes.

Rearfacing carseats are NOT a safety risk just because a child's legs are bent at the knees or because they can touch/kick the vehicle seat. Rear-facing as long as possible is the recommendation of the American Academy of Pediatricians, and can reduce injuries and deaths. Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 overall cause of death for children 14 years and under.

Rear face the child to the weight limit of the seat.
    Xakana

Answer by Xakana at 4:16 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• mommix, if he's almost 4, he may or may not still fit rear facing.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:00 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I meant to say yes, your 3 almost 4 year old is fine to FF.

I also want to add that if she/he is below the limits to RF, you CAN ERF, but at that age, they're safe to FF.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 10:16 AM on Oct. 13, 2009