What I saw today, rear facing car seat in front middle seat of truck??

I am trying not to be judgemental but I just can't help thinking "over my dead body, would I put my daughter in the front seat of a truck no matter what". While out and about today I saw a couple with their child in their front truck seat in between them, also in a rear facing child seat, is that illegal? I just can't help but realize it's not the safest spot, but I would think it would be illegal to have a child so young in the front seat? Anyone know?
Also, she puffed on a cigarrette in the car with her child too, I can't help but think nasty thoughts about them.. been bothering me alllllllll day...

All4OneN1forAll

Asked by All4OneN1forAll at 8:50 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• It may be the only car they had. When I had a fender bender, we had to use my husbands truck for a few days, and my daughter was in her rear facing car seat in the middle....
    I'm pretty sure a carseat is MUCH safer in a truck than a small car anyways....
    Anonymous

• damnn !!! what can of parents are those in which state did you see that?
    zip10469

Answer by zip10469 at 8:53 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• A truck is a truck. While I wouldn't ever have one, if you think about it, they could in some cases be safer, such as in fender benders. And why would it be illegal for it to be rear facing?
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 8:55 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• We are in Texas! near Ft Hood, we're army. I couldn't believe it, it pretty much ruined my day, and i dont think it matters what kind of car you would be in, I own a Chevy traverse but pretty sure whatever car you have if you flip or are hit by a bigger car or t boned you're in trouble.
    All4OneN1forAll

Answer by All4OneN1forAll at 8:56 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• It's not illegal in MO. If it's your only vehicle then what choice do they have? I thought a booster seat in the front seat of a truck was illegal too but when my ex picks up our boys for a visit he puts our 7 yr old in the front of his pickup and we meet at a police station. I asked an officer if he could do that. He said yes it's fine. I was furious! But there wasn't anything I could do. There's room in the backseat, it's a 4 door pickup but he favors the 7 yr old and lets him do anything he wants....
    We just have to realize there's nothing we can do about certain things.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:59 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• A rear facing seat is safe in the front of a pick up b/c that is the only place for it to go. If it was forward facing the child would be in more danger. The smoking I think is just plain wrong and I wouldn't do that around anyone's child. My question is would you rather the child not be in a car seat at all? If that is their only mode of transportation then just deal. Just b/c you wouldn't do it doesn't mean that it is wrong.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:01 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Yeah i was wondering the same thing the other day. As far as the cigarette it sickens me!
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 9:04 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• It's ok as long as the air bag is turned off, and there is no other safe seat for baby. I'm guessing there was no back seat to this truck? This might be their only option.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:06 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Actually my DH had out car seat put in our truck at the police station, so I'm pretty sure it safe.
    Anonymous

• When my hubby had a problem with his car we had to borrow a truck from a friend that didn't have a back seat I called the police department and asked them if a truck didn't have a back seat can we put a child in the front with a carseat they said that you were aloud if there was no back seat, but just to be safe even though she was in a front facing seat we put her rear faceing until we got our car back, but they did tell me it was aloud
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:28 PM on Oct. 12, 2009