Why do we need ALL of this baby stuff???

Okay for sure, I get car seats, even though they were not used when I was little! But shopping cart covers, baby wipe warmers, 300 dollar high def baby monitors, binkys that cost more than most people make in an hour.... Overkill, I guess, I mean you can take every precaution, but I don't think you need all of this junk!! Anyone agree??

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 9:35 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had a ton of stuff for my first! I thought I needed pull out all of the stops so that my little one would be very comfortable and at peace. Turns out, I inconvenienced myself by choosing the largest pack-n-play, stroller, and everything else! Its rediculous that we have to lug all of this bulk around whenever we go on a trip! I was also so neurotic w/ my first...I can't wait to have my second so I can be laid back and relaxed. I've since realized that my relaxed mentality is one of the most important gifts I can offer my little ones! ;-) Oh, and I've read that the wipe warmers can promote bacteria growth.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:19 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• i agree on the price part,but pinkys come in handy so do wipes warmer and all that,but i would not spend that much even if i had it to spare.i think some people are materials people,they dont care what stuff looks like just that it cost so much.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:38 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I love my shopping cart cover. My daughter chews on everything and if I didnt have that cover, she would be chewing on the cart itself. My binky was free, it came attached to her, she sucks her thumb. But yeah, some of the cost of some of these things I think are a little outrages.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:39 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• haha. My DD totally chews on the shopping cart bar. It's gross. Maybe I do need one of those. I thought a video monitor was overkill until someone bought us one. It really is useful! I would never pay that much for it myself, though. I'd say almost all of it is overkill other than the stuff that could save your baby's life (carseat, baby bathtub, etc.). We had 3 baby showers, so, yeah we got a ton of stuff altho. we also used a lot of it.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 9:41 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I agree on the price but I think some of the things are great ideas! Like the cart/highchair covers. Who knows if the kid who was in it before was sick? It's a comfort/safety thing. Wipe warmers aren't a need but some find it nice.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 9:41 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• New moms are the joke of the consumer market. They know we'll do and buy anything that is promised to make life more convient. Disposable stuff is the funniest to me, like bibs, juice cups, snack containers and place mats!! Ok i can see sometimes using these thing but when they become an item on a weekly shopping list. They have you just where they want you. lol Such a waste
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 9:43 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I SO agree! But I am preggo with baby #3- so I am pretty confident about all the extra baby stuff that I don't need. Honestly- the stuff that I really used alot is not the expensive bells and whistles stuff- it is more things like baby blankets, newborn gowns, and cloth diapers. With this baby the only must haves that I plan on getting other than what I mentioned is a basinet, the baby, and my breastmilk.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 9:44 PM on Oct. 12, 2009