I'm 8 weeks postpartum and i've had mastitis twice already. I'm so upset. It makes me think about giving up on breastfeeding! Has anyone else had this problem?

CelestialVal

Asked by CelestialVal at 9:37 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I yes I have had it. In one instance I knew I was getting it, kept pushing myself and ended up in the doctors office with a red spot, and got antibiotics. The minuet you sense trouble go to bed, lay on a couch, get off your feet. Nurse your baby frequently on that side, try and keep the affected breast empty, and keep a warm heating pad to the affected area. Keep drinking the fluids, and eat simply. Get up to get something and then get off your feet. One of the reasons for a breast infection is doing too much, and possibly missing a feeding. It is OK alot of us get them. Take care of yourself at the onset so it doesn't develop into something bigger. You can contact Le Leche League if you ever have questions, or get their book at the library. The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. There is alot of info on breast infections. Try to do a little less, when you are up and running. Hey, good luck!
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 10:00 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• My son just turned 4 months and I've gotten it 3 times, It's HORRIBLE!! I want to start weaning him in a way but I'm going ton try to stick with it until he's 6 months old
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 9:42 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Don't give up! I have not had it, but I have had clogged ducts. DD blistered both my nips because her latch was so bad in the begining. Warm showers and hand expressing while in the shower and after feedings helped, but my boobs would still get really sore. I've started pumping in the last week, and my boobs are no longer sore. To be honest the only reason I didn't give up is because my first experience was near perfect. Another thing to keep in mind...you are passing antibodies in your breastmilk, so if you get sick he's protected somewhat.
    bec94

Answer by bec94 at 10:12 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Avoid sleeping on your stomach and any pinching or tight fitting bras.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 AM on Oct. 13, 2009