What is the best time to fly with my 15 month old: early in the morning or late at night (around the time she would normally go to bed)? I'm buying tickets tonight so please help me!

The flight will be 8.5 hours total (we have a layover of about 1.5 hours). We are going from Washington State to New Jersey.

What time is the best time to fly?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:40 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would say it depends on your child. If your LO normally sleeps in the car & isn't too bothered by new situations or can easily fall asleep anywhere, they go for the night flight. But, if your LO has a hard time going to sleep or gets riled up easily, I would do the morning flight. Remember that just because you are on a night flight & baby sleeps, you might not. If you are used to flying & know you can sleep, then go for the night flight. But if you are nervous & going to be awake anyway, then do the morning flight--the last thing you want is to land in New Jersey exhausted but with a wide-awake baby! I flew from Seattle to Amsterdam on a red-eye with my 2 mo old DD & didn't sleep at all. I was wasted when we landed & she was bright-eyed.

Finally, check with the airline about how often each flight is delayed. The later you fly, the greater your chances for getting stuck in the airport or on a runway. Good luck!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 9:44 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• when does she nap? if she still takes 2 naps that'd be great lol. i'd say make it so that you'r flying around her nap time. if she takes a nap on the first plane, keep her up during the layover and try to keep her busy, especially if she didn't sleep as long as normal, and she should fall asleep on the second plane as well. in case she doesn't fall asleep, bring toys, coloring books, small snacks, ect. i had a little backpack for my son, so he had his own little carry on with his toys. GL
    Anonymous