would your rehome a dog if

you moved to a house with a smaller yard? it's a boxer my husbands. she rarely gets walked. i tell him that he should walk her more cause she is not letting off the steam and is not getting mentally stimulated. i'm super pregnant and could not walk the dog for the 45 min to hr as i would cramp plus my feet would kill me as they do already. she barks more often and is taring up the new landscaping we put in. she used to be a really good dog with no issues but i think since she is neglected she is pent up with energy. i feel bad for her and would rather have be with a young man who hikes daily and often goes camping. i don't see our time freeing up more with a new baby and one small child as it is. i think he is being selfish and not thinking of her. i would love to see her with another more active home. i know i could find one. it would be #1 priority that they fit the bill.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Pets

• Boxers are a commitment breed. They are only for families where every single member can and will take personal responsibility for the dog. Rehome the dog to a college student or a single person. They love to be with someone who can pamper and obsess about them. Your instincts are right on this one.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:20 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• You need to ask your hubby, I am suprised she isn't an inside dog, our boxer is wonderful with our son and he plays catch with her in the back yard alot, sounds like it is your husbands dog so his choice, if you live in Missouri, we will adopt her LOL!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:43 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Tell your husband firmly you need help being so pregnant with another little one and a dog too. I'd say he needs to help more with everything. If he can't do that now you're ready to go into counselling for him to hear how needed his help is all around. Men who work outside the home while moms are homemakers with kids with or without animals do not deserve to get home and ignore their families. If I had it to do again I'd give my husband choices to help every day just to ask when he'd come in what do I need. I did everything for more husband while we had animals when I was preggers and after our kids were born too. Big mistake. It drained me for years. You're worth a life of respect that's both of emotional and physical respect and help instead of a life of words from him without any help.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 9:53 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I will tell you that I have a Jack Russell Terrier, one of the most hyper breeds out there. Ever since she was a puppy I didnt have time to walk her. She is a very calm and happy dog. Of course I let her run all she wants in the backyard, and we dont even have a fence and she is off leash. She doesnt run away. Eventually they will adjust to your life style. If everyone would have time to walk there dog for that amount of time each day then the world wouldnt be as obese. I bet that dog is your husbands side kick. Why get rid of something that he loves? What if the tables were turned on you? It might take sometime for the dog to get use to it but she will. Its all up to your husband, and is it really worth getting into a bad fight with your husband. I would flip out on my SO if he told me I had to get rid of the dog. The dog is my companion.
    Marah2008

Answer by Marah2008 at 9:54 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• she used to be inside all the time and it was never an issue but lately she has been getting my nerves for such small reasons like, slobbering all over, like my clothes, floors, on the baby. she licks all the time. she has super big terds, and i know she stepping on them out back then bringing it in with her. could be i'm in the hesting mode where i want everything super clean. it's been cooler here so that is why she has been out more. although she does knock down our 3 yr old cause of her energy. she won't be in as much once the baby is here though either. i have asked him he said he would but now he has changed his mind. i just to simplify ,my life. also another sad reason is that she eats a lot and we have on a couple occassions had to feed her cat food cause we didn't have money to buy dog food. we switched from great dog food to crappy and she often has diarrehia. we're not fit owners
    Anonymous

• Regardless of were i move my pets stay with me. There are dog parks you can take her to, to burn energy or even doggie daycares were she can play with other dogs and burn energy. Throw a ball do something to butn the energy that will work even if you can't walk her as much or as long right now. If my husband told me i had to get rid of an animal for some lame reason he would be sleeping in the dog house.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:02 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• no the dog is not his side kick. if only they had a bond like that. she responds to me and my oldest son. who is 17 but won't walk the dog as he feels it's not his. we often agrue with him to even feed the dog(son) cause that is his chore. he will never get a dog of his own until he shows responsibility of just doing his chores regardless if it's his or not. my husband never plays with her. i make an effort to at least do that. although she is rough cause she jumps at me and her nails often dig into my feet or she runs over the 3 yr old.
    Anonymous

• You obviously don't have time for her. I have a boxer/pit who is a wonderful dog, also three cats and a 4 month old baby. Having a pet is a LIFE TIME responsibility, but you really don't seem like fit owners, and you even admit that yourself. You seem like you're making excuses as to why the dog doesn't get any attention. "My husband won't walk her, it's not my son's dog, we can't afford food." (Just to let you know, more expensive food actually ends up being cheaper; you feed less of it because there are more nutrients; there are less vet bills because you're not feeding them junk, and their crap is solid, not runny.)
    Please re-home your dog to a family who is willing to take full responsibility for her, instead of making excuses as to why she is unhappy.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 1:07 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• boxers are great with kids, i think you should keep the dog and try your best. i've found a home for a border collie we just couldn't manage once, it was heartbreaking but we just were not the right home for him and he is doing now what a border collie should be doing. sometimes dogs have people problems, it happens. i wish you the best of luck, i know this is a very hard situation, but still, boxers are great with kids and in the long run you may be better off to just get through this instead of giving her up.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:57 AM on Oct. 13, 2009