can I take in my child if he is NOT sick to see a doctor?

Hello, I had asked the question earlier about my son having many fevers and often! Anyways, everytime that he has his "feverish spell" it's either on the weekend or after hours. I've taken him to the ER a few times and they won't give me any answers or run any tests! They just try and get his fever down and tell me and my husband it's Viral! My husband and I talked about taking him in to see his pediatrician (who is a great dr.) but can we take our son into see him if he isn't sick?
A recap, my son gets a high fever, chills, and body is reallyHOT 1-2 times Every MONTH! Could this have something to do with him being born early...was born at 30 wks and 6 days?

sherbear84

Asked by sherbear84 at 9:57 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Absolutely you can take your child to the doctor when he is not sick. I don't know if being born early can cause that, but, he could even have an infection that isn't clearing up completely.......

I would absolutely call and make an appointment for him.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:01 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I would call and make an appt asap!
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 10:04 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Yes you can take him... but think about what you are asking for before you do so and think about what a fever really is....it's a good thing it is your body reacting to an invading organizem we are invaded ALL THE TIME... so his body is working well

the last thing I have to say is this it is NOT the ERs job to run work ups on people--- there job is to make sure you are well enough to get to YOUR DOCTORS OFFICE-- thats it what you are doing is exactly why our system is so messed up --and its probably where your son picks up many of his microbes too
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:08 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• and one more thing..... do you live in a tick laden area? has he had a tick bite?? if you do and you notice cyclic fevers they need to check his blood for Babesiosis--- what you describe is the signs and symptoms of this illness
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:10 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Sorry I'm confused. Not sure why you're saying he's not sick when you're also saying he runs fevers etc. If that were my child with the medical history that yours has of fevers and chills often I'd be taking him in each week that's he's like that.

If your doc's hours aren't convenient, not open at night andthat's why the e r, then look into another ped. Some are open nights and charge a high price. If you have to take him to an e r have it be one that has an e r section for pediatric urgent care with a pediatrician on duty then.

My dd was sick a while back and the ped couldn't figure out what was going on. She told us to go to the e r on a weekend and get a chest xray. We ran with that and took dd to a children's hospital whose e r diagnosis was a godsend. Think of all of your options - your insurance might limit you to somedegree but in others you can still get a referall at least for a ped spec. Oh viruses take mos!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:16 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Have the regular doctor run tests for autoimmune diseases also.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Yes, you can. Call the doctor and make an appointment and explain what is going on.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:29 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I would . so sure say yes you can.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 3:11 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• keep a log book first before you go in. with clearly documented times, dates and temperatures. what the weather was like, and the house environment etc....

(weather can affect kids - we live in chinook country - where the barometric pressure can drop or climb in an hour what a normal place does in a week)
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:39 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Is he in daycare? My DD is in daycare and she is sick that often.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 7:38 PM on Oct. 13, 2009