2yr old waking up in the middle of night

My 2 yr old and 5 yr old recently started sharing a room in preparation of their baby sister's arrival next month. The 2 yr old started waking in the middle of the night. Instead of getting up she just screams which wakes her sister, mommy, daddy and when I get up sometimes even the baby in me wakes up. We've tried a few things: going from crib to toddler bed, night light, music playing in her room, special blanket, stuffed dog, etc.
When we go in we just tell her to go to sleep and retuck her in and she's fine but big sis needs to get sleep for school. Any suggestions?

mom22littlegirl

Asked by mom22littlegirl at 10:17 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• the 5 year old going to school needs her own room-- this is unfair to her if ya ask me-- so give them back their rooms-- put the new arrival in your room and over the next 2 or 3 years find/build/remodel to make a room for the baby
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:30 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• MELRN: Thanks for your input. I'm hoping in 2-3 years that she'll be sleeping through the night! We have another room but it's on another level of the house and none of the kids are willing to sleep downstairs by themselves. (can't blame them--they are too young). I guess I'm old fashioned in that I don't think each kid has to have their own bedroom at this age. They love sharing a room but this will get old if I have a 2 yr old AND the baby waking each night.
    mom22littlegirl

Answer by mom22littlegirl at 10:49 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• i agree with the 1st one not really that its unfair but she does need her sleep for school i would move them back to there own rooms then whe you have the baby but her is your room till you want to move her into her crib then let her and the 2 yr old share a room i know lots of parents do it this way and they say they love it bc there school age kids get there sleep hope it helps good luck
    klinemom2

Answer by klinemom2 at 11:22 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I wouldnt go as extreme as to say remodel your home lol.. Im sorry thats a little rediculous. Not everyone has the money to do things like that. I would say though that now is not the best tiem to take away the 2 yos room. The rule that I learned a while ago is to do everything you need to before getting pregnant with a new baby. As in potty training, toddler beds, switching rooms.. if you dont, the existing kids can start to think they are either getting pushed out of the way for the baby, or start to see a connection between the new baby and the bad thing they dont like. Put the 2 yo back in her room and keep the baby in your room for a while. Maybe 6 mos if you can do it. Then start to switch the 2 yo back over to the other room if she will tolerate it.
    Kayere

Answer by Kayere at 12:30 AM on Oct. 13, 2009