Regular flu shot and swine flu shot

I've been hearing a lot about the swine flu shot and all the possible effects. I'm a little confused... is the swine flu shot and the flu shot the same thing? My daughter is suppose to be getting a flu shot Monday, but I'm starting to freak out. I'm actually starting to think to actually have her stop getting shots all together. All I know is if God forbin something ever happens and she gets Austium I will feel like it is my fault that I have messed up her life b/c of shots.. Any opions?

Trishy7

Asked by Trishy7 at 10:31 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Our take on it was this: if we do NOT get the shot, and our sons die from the flu, we'll feel like irresponsible parents who did not do everything we could for our children. If we DO get the shot and they suffer side effects, then we will know that we were doing our best to do the right thing for our children. This CAN be turned around the other way too though. It depends on YOUR feelings about vaccinations, and, this one in particular. I think it's a very personal choice, and in the end, it's one YOU need to be able to live with. Our children have underlying health conditions and, after weighing our options, we feel it would be best to get them the shot. We have always gotten the regular flu shot every year, so this didn't feel like a huge leap for us.
    ShaunnaMichelle

Answer by ShaunnaMichelle at 12:53 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• i would get her the regular flu shot. ive gotten that myself, got it when i was pregnant, its been around for years. but the swine flu shot im not sure about it because its so new. i talk to alot of people about it and alot say theyre not getting it and some are. im going to wait a while and see what happens. i dont know what to do. im so nervous about getting the swine flu.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:51 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• If you have any doubts at all about shots, you should do research on it. There is a ton of imformation avaliable on the internet and in books. There are also a couple nonvaxing groups on here that can help you find information.
    Kayere

Answer by Kayere at 12:54 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• She won't get autism from the flu shot.

Yes, the flu shot and h1n1 (swine) flu shot are different. Most states do not yet have the swine flu shot ready, it only comes in a nasal form, which I, personally, would not do. If I was considering the swine flu vaccine, I would wait until it came out in shot form...which is expected to be in a few weeks.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 9:10 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Flu shot is just the regular flu shot. swine flu shot is different. I have been going back and forth for months on whether or not to get the shot for my daughter. I have decided to do it. If it was done, it would have been a part of the regular flu shot, and we always do that. I feel like if I dont do it, and she gets sick from the swine flu, I would feel horrible. I know that if there are side effects to the vaccine, I would feel horrible as well, but I have researched the benefits vs. risks and it seems like the way to go. Good luck. You need to make the decision for yourself though. Get the regular flu shot though...
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 1:34 PM on Oct. 13, 2009