What's so wrong with being wealthy or wanting to get that way? And why should the wealthy have to help pay for the poor?

Let me clarify something up front....

I have NO problem with people choosing to give to charity nor do have anything against poor people. I'm not wealthy. My DH and I made 27000 last year. My husband and I give to charity, we volunteer and have helped with collection drives. We encourage our children to do the same.

But WHAT is so wrong with someone being wealthy if they work hard for their money and earn it legally. My DH and I will be considered "wealthy" once we graduate from school. We want to make a lot of money. We want a big house, nice cars and long vacations.

What is so wrong with that? Where does the "there's no reason a person needs that much money so they should give it to me because I make less" attitude come from?

WHY does someone who doesn't do the necessary things to earn lots of money DESERVE other's money?

Why should the rich pay for the poor? Why should the "wealthy" be taxed more?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:42 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• i completley agree with you. if other people want to be lazy bums and not make any money or do anything with their lives, then they should do that and not expect to have things. i personally am done with my associates degree this semester and then going for my bachelors in a different school and when im done with that i should be making at least 80,000 and ill be proud of it.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:47 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I agree with you 100%! Why not enjoy the fruits of your labor? It's great to want & to work hard for what you get!
    mommorgan

Answer by mommorgan at 10:49 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Wah wah wah! Everyone hates me cuz I'm rich! Oh please, get over yourself. Some are rich some aren't lifes too short to sit around and bitch about it!
    Anonymous

• I get tired of people complaining about having money is so hard. You know, stop judging people who have nothing right now! Life has it's hilarious ways of putting you in your place!! Not all poor people are lazy, some work two jobs to feed their kids. You don't know their stories. If I was the poorest person on earth I'd rather STARVE than take your precious money!! What are taxes making you poor? Give it a rest!
    Anonymous

• Most people just want the wealthy to pay a fair amount as of now they only pay between 1 - 5%, when the middle class pays between 30-50% of their income. 80,000 is middle class by the way not wealthy. And you can plan on paying more out of your 80,000 then someone who makes millions a year, this is a percentage not actual amount. Also people who have millions get discounts and higher interest rates, why are we so happy to keep the rich, rich but are all crying when someone needs help who has nothing?
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 10:57 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• No one is complaining about life being hard when your "rich" but I am asking you WHY someone who doesn't make that money deserves it?

I'm not saying that the poor don't work hard. My DH and I have 2 jobs between us to put a roof over our heads and food on the table. It's hard and we fall behind but it's simply NOT someone else's job to do those things for us.

Why should I get a "rich" (by the way 200,000 a year isn't rich. my parents make more than that and still struggle sometimes to get the house payment made) person's money when I haven't yet finished school and EARNED the right to that money?
    Anonymous

• The feeling of entitlement here in the US is disgusting.

We put ourselves through college by working 2-3 jobs. My hubby is military and I own a business that I started in the guest room with a few dollars and a sewing machine. We GROSSED more than $284,000 and netted less than $100,000 last year. We paid more than 40% of our income in federal, state, local and property taxes. We aren't rich, but people seem to think we are. The truth is we bust our butts for what we make.

The thought of being rich used to be the American dream. It was something people worked for and those that became rich were admired. I grew up poor, but I don't intend to die that way. We are very generous, but the money I earn is mine. If I can do it anyone can, it just takes some gumption and a lot of hard work.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:17 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Be careful how you judge things and others! We make 30000 a year and have four kids and we pay the same taxes you do. You have an attitude of superiority and you don't see it. Keep it up, God has great ways of teaching us humility.
    Anonymous

• Because Obama said so.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:25 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I've been busting my ass for 10 years to get somewhere!!! School,college,working shit jobs,and taking a lot of crap. It doesn't happen for everyone who works hard their entire lives just because it worked for you. And 200000 a year is a lot to live off. If we had that we wouldn't struggle like we do because we wouldn't live above our means!!
    Anonymous