I need HELP! My 2 week old is breastfed and is not gaining wieght.. he wieghed 7 lb 11 oz when he was born ... 7 lb 1 oz when we borught him home.. 7 lbs 4 oz at his 1 week checkup but today he went in for a wieght chek and is still 7 lb 4 oz.. they told me to pump then give it to him after nursing.. but it seems like i am constanly pumping.. any other ideas? has anyone else gone thourgh this and it tunred out ok?

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 11:02 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Stop pumping right away, it will diminish your supply and cause nipple confusion. You will be forever sorry. Join the breastfeeding group, the one with 20000 members , they will help you, run girl. Your baby is fine btw.
    cristinaberger

Answer by cristinaberger at 11:11 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Babies lose weight during their first month, then after 4-5 weeks they start to put weight back on. I'm very surprised your pediatrician didn't tell you that; mine did. Pumping and giving it to him after nursing seems pretty pointless to me. You need to feed at the breast on demand so that you have a good milk supply and your baby is getting plenty to eat. Also, complete one feeding on one breast. The milk they get after 10 minutes at one breast is the hind milk and has more fat in it. If your baby completely empties one breast and is still hungry, then switch sides. Otherwise, alternate breasts at each feeding.

My first weighed 7lb 4oz when she was born and dropped down to 6lb 10oz and her dr wasn't concerned at all and told me to continue feeding on demand. My second lost some weight too at first and was jaundice, again dr said just feed on demand. Both of my kids are super healthy.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:13 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Yes I went through the same . And not only did it seem as I was pumping forever but I could not keep up with any more.
    So I started to give my son not only the breast but I also started with formula.
    Dont worry , after that he gain al of his weight back in one time , so much by his next checkup they told me that he was eating to much !!

So try it out , try formula!!! Nothing wrong with that.

Good luck
    Ellie.407

Answer by Ellie.407 at 11:13 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Don't have any experience breast-feeding, but just stay in contact with your doctor. I know it's normal for them to lose weight by the time they leave the hospital, and think they are usually back to the birth weight in 2-4 weeks. Keep doing what you are doing, as long as he isn't losing, he should be OK. And again, try not to worry unless the dr. is worried. And you have your "game plan" to pump after nursing, so give it a few more days to catch up. Hugs! Hopefully others have more insight. :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:15 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• This is totally normal! Seriously think about it, your baby was inside you getting all this nutrition steady, and when hes born, hes expected to do all kinds of things that cause him to burn calories, like breathing, moving, even sucking. And hes not getting steady nutrition anymore, its every 2-4 hours. Your baby is perfectly fine...I am very surprised that they told you to pump and give it to him in a bottle....your not to give a baby a bottle if your breast feeding until after 6 weeks, for two reasons, to help your supply build and stabilize, but also to avoid any confusion. Even then they can have confusion.
    amb_josh

Answer by amb_josh at 11:40 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Same here, my DD lost weight the first two weeks. Then she picked it all back up. I wasnt pumping enough in between BF and lost my milk supply. Make sure to keep your supply up. Pump between feedings if it feels like your losing supply. Also the herb Fenugreek helps increase milk supply- and it makes everything smell like maple syrup... even your pee. which is good or bad.. lol Good luck
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 1:07 AM on Oct. 13, 2009