how do you know the difference between attitude and PMS in pre-teen?

she is 10 years old - has not started her cycle (yet) and i am not sure if her MOODS are her just being a typical 10 year old or if her cycle is going to start soon. i am not in the loop with cycles anymore as it's been 10 years since my hysterectomy so i really could use some help here mom's...

alicuba

Asked by alicuba at 11:33 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• 10 is a little young to have pms, isn't it? I didn't get my first period until I was 13...I don't know though, my DD is only 4.5 months old, lol. Good luck anyhow!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 11:39 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• My oldest dd got her period a couple of weeks after she turned 11 years old. If she's all about makeup and boys and fads and friends her attitude is just that she's a kid and she's a girl. And if she's non of that cause it's just not her right now, then it's still her hormones wanting to be like her peers. I think pms or even the other (sp?) is more often severely depressed, extremely angry, very moody high ups and very low lows. Try googling those.

Could she have too much freedom and not enough direction? 4H or Girl Scouts is great for directing kids in safe, healthy directions. If she doesn't improve after a bit with a direction in her life of belonging to a good group instead of hanging out (with friends or by herself) then talk to doc.

lfl

Answer by lfl at 12:51 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• got my first menstrual when i was 10- it most certainly COULD be hormones... that shift occurs between 6 months, to a year before her first cycle.

if she has been overly concerned with privacy (keeping her door shut or locked, demanding that people have permission to come in, being overly prude, keeping a "diary" etc.) or showing interest in boys (being shy or embarrassed, dressing up when she goes to school, church, or showing interest in her looks)- well, its likely that you should be on the lookout for her aunt flo to show up soon.

maybe a good time to make sure she knows enough about this blessed event (if you haven't already), so that she doesn't think she's going to die when it happens! lol

also, if she's begun to fill out, its a pretty good sign that she is in fact hitting puberty. our bodies have to reach a certain fat composition before our hormones trigger ovulation- weight has a huge impact on when we begin.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:03 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• First, 10 is NOT too young to have PMS. My friends stepdaughter got her period at 9, some girls do. Second, if the "moods" happen only at certain times, then it is PMS, if they are all the time, it is attitude. Also, the girl will exhibit the PMS type symptoms for anywhere from months to a year before she actually gets her period. Once she gets hair and breast buds, her period will follow shortly after. If you haven't already done so, talk to her about her body, puberty and what will happen when she gets her period. She needs to know that what she will be going through is normal and what do to when she gets her period, it usually happens at an inconvienent time.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:54 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• thanks for all the helpfull advice ladies!!! i know some of it is just attitude being a little miss know it all - but the mood swings are somedays so extreme i just don't know. i guess all i can do is start tracking it monthly and see if there is a noticeable difference in her attitdue. she is doing some groups through mental health, yoga at school, and tae kwon do 2 times a week. plus she is getting her help for the adhd and odd with meds too but still have to wonder where the other attitude comes from. it's not typical behaivors and i don't want to rule anything out.
    alicuba

Answer by alicuba at 11:01 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• 10 is not to young my oldest got her monthly at 10. I can tell when my girls get PMS because their moods change so fast, they snap at their other siblings in a second, and they tell me they don't feel good they have cramps and headaches.

PerfectApple10

Answer by PerfectApple10 at 4:13 PM on Oct. 21, 2009