Am I overreacting?

I was chatting with my guy friend and we were kidding around when he called me a jack ass... I wanted to cry and stopped talking to him... it hurt my feelings. I just got out of a verbally abusive relationship with a alcoholic who always called me bad names... I dont know if this is the reason it bothered me or not but it just struck me in the wrong way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Relationships

• If you are asking if you overreacted, well perhaps. I mean I understand that you got out of an abusive relationship, but you yourself even said that ya'll were kidding around. Don't punish everyone you meet for your ex's mistakes. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• Thanks... I just think I needed to hear that. I just need to face reality.
    Anonymous

• i don't think your over reacting. my husband is the example of a man who never disrespects a women. once he said something mean or said a bad name but don't remember what cause he apologized. i think you should keep looking for that guy who has an ultimate respect for women in general not just you. my husband has 7 sisters so that may be why. either way. although if your playing around and you both were calling each other names then it might be different but if he was the only one who said it then i would be feeling like you as well. in no joking matter should i guy be calling you names unless you both were calling each other names or you started with the name calling. but to be playing around and he just calls you that that seems mean and unwarranted. although my level of expectations maybe higher then most.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:46 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Even if he was joking, I don't blame you for being upset. It he talks to you like that when he's just joking how would he talk to you if he was actually mad? I agree with you, it is hurtful sometimes and especially after coming out of an abusive relationship. You don't deserve, or need, anything but the best treatment. Do not tolerate anything less. God bless you.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 12:08 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Yeah, I don't think you're over-reacting either. I wouldn't like to be called a name like that...and I've been happily married for 21 years. It's insulting and unnecessary. I don't call my friends names, and don't expect to be called names..........
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:58 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I don't think you over reacted. I had some guy friends and been in the same situation. So instead of talking to guys who are disrespectful I surround myself with more positive people that way i wont feel like crap
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 1:21 AM on Oct. 13, 2009