What can I do to work with animals?

I want to work with animals, especially with lab dogs, but I cant lift alot, and I want to work directly with dogs and animals, but parttime, or volunteer, what should I do?

Babys-Mom

Asked by Babys-Mom at 11:39 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Pets

• Volunteer at a local animal-hospital. ?
    kerri-

Answer by kerri- at 11:43 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I would stay away from a vet hospital because you have to have the stomache for it and you do a lot of lifting. I have worked at one for 12 years and love it but it is not for everyone. You might look for a doggie daycare in your area there is not really heavy lifting involved and you spend a lot of time with dogs. I did that as a teen and learned a ton about training and dog behavior. Animal shelters or dog training facilities might also be an option. I have pretty much done everything when it comes to animals and i will tell you there is not much money in it but if you love animal it can be a lot of fun and very rewarding.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:30 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I'm a dog groomer's assistant, but there is a lot of lifting involved, and honestly, labs are the worst when they come in for baths (most are untrained and hard to restrain, incredibly annoying and kind of dumb).
    You can call your local Humane Society and see what kind of volunteers they need.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 1:10 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• You can be a foster parent for animals if you wanna work with strictly labs or just even volunteer at an animal shelter.
    NaTiveMommy253

Answer by NaTiveMommy253 at 1:45 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Volunteer at your local Humane Shelter. They always need people to do all kinds of things--you can even come in once or twice a week and walk some of the dogs!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:17 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I work at a boarding kennel/doggie daycare but its a lot of heavy lifting and labor intensive work. Our turnover rate is around 95% because most people that apply for the job just dont expect it to be that hard. I dont think there is much in the way of working with dogs that isnt going to be hard labor work. Maybe be a pet sitter/dog walker? That way you only have to deal with 1 or 2 dogs at a time and you dont have to sanitize kennels, play yards, carry large bags of dog food, pick up lots of poop, etc. Good luck
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 2:23 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Volunteer to walk and socialize dogs at the SPCA. You can do as little or as much as you want.
    Dawn4175

Answer by Dawn4175 at 8:26 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• FOSTER FOSTER FOSTER FOSTER FOSTER....LOL. no really, if you have the means to do so, please do. i wish i had more fosters to rely on. we get so many baby animals and i usually end up bringing them all home. foster parents are always desperately needed, everywhere. and mothers usually end up being my best foster parents. they have the compassion and stamina for it.
    shecallsmemom04

Answer by shecallsmemom04 at 12:30 AM on Oct. 17, 2009